Griff Loaf'n

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Put together a 4lb Griff Loaf, followed the recipe except for adding green bell peppers. Used two chunks of sugar maple and 1 chunk of cherry. Ran the WSM with all bottom vents open and an empty foiled pan...temps ran from 310-325 the entire cook which took a little over 2 1/2 hours. Pulled it at 168º, tented and let rest for about 20 minutes.

Going in the smoke.

Finished product, very pronounced smoke ring, very moist.

Had a pic of the plated meal, however, when I downloaded the pics from the camera to the compooter it wern't there.

The loaf was excellent, however, too much smoke. I thought using the milder sugar maple and one cherry it would be OK...learn by eating your mistakes.

wnkt said:
What animal is a Griff Loaf made of?

It's a meatloaf, ground beef and some pork sausage. Recipe is posted in the Beef Section, do a search for Griff Loaf.

Bruce B said:
The loaf was excellent, however, too much smoke. I thought using the milder sugar maple and one cherry it would be OK...learn by eating your mistakes.

Bruce that's a fantastic looking meatloaf man! Very moist looking.

I never use more that 1 small chunk of wood, no matter what it is on meatloaf. The ground meat will soak up every ounce of whatever wood you put to it and it'll taste like it too.

Gotta question, "what was the rationale of pulling at 168*"? Obviously it worked and worked perfectly to give you a perfecty moist loaf, but I tend to pull mine in the 160* range. But I don't use sausage either, is the sausage the reason for the higher finish temp? Just curious is all because I pull my fatties at 160* as well.....

The loaf look some good BB. I hate it when the damm cam forgets stuff. mine will sometimes give photos duplicet names. Slap it a few times Bruce :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bruce B":2u9ju83n]The loaf was excellent, however, too much smoke. I thought using the milder sugar maple and one cherry it would be OK...learn by eating your mistakes.

Bruce that's a fantastic looking meatloaf man! Very moist looking.

I never use more that 1 small chunk of wood, no matter what it is on meatloaf. The ground meat will soak up every ounce of whatever wood you put to it and it'll taste like it too.

Gotta question, "what was the rationale of pulling at 168*"? Obviously it worked and worked perfectly to give you a perfecty moist loaf, but I tend to pull mine in the 160* range. But I don't use sausage either, is the sausage the reason for the higher finish temp? Just curious is all because I pull my fatties at 160* as well.....[/quote:2u9ju83n]

In searching other threads and posts about Griff Loaf, someone posted that he did not pull his off until 170º, Griff responded and stated that he had started letting his go a little longer also, up to the high 160's and then let it rest. It turned out fine though at that temp.

Biggest issue was the amount of smoke flavor.

Griff said:
wittdog said:
They are only found way up North....you have to be carefull because they are old and hairy....
.... and they are well armed.
... and light sleepers.

--John
(I remember times Griff was out of the tent in his skivvies, facing down a moose or bear, before I had even heard anything snuffling or rustling around out there. With his short-barreled, slug-loaded, 12-ga. Remington 870 at the ready.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom