Great night for a smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
Jim Babek said:
Im been up in the air all week as to which night I should proceed with round two...a boston butt up top and a packer brisket on the bottom. Also have some sweet sausage to snack on throughout.

After watching the weather all week tonights the night. Its 36 now and just started snowing...the low will be 27. The flag is lightly floating so its a green light.

Am starting to trim the meats now and once thats done I can figure out the start time.

Hewre's the question....inject the butt or not??? If so with what? I will let you decide...you have a few hours to go.... :D :D :D
Just my personal opinion here, but I think a pork butt cooked in the 230-260 range to an internal temp of 190-200 is plenty moist -- I wouldn't consider injecting for the sake of moistness. Also, I think a butt with a tasty, bold rub has flavor aplenty -- I wouldn't consider injecting for the sake of flavor, either. So from my viewpoint, why bother injecting?
confused-smiley-013.gif

Good luck on your smoke! :)

--John 8)

I agree with John, I'd skip the injection, just my preference though... Good luck Jim, post alot of pic's of your progress!

I can't imagine a pulled pork that has been injected personally, they tend to turn out tender and juicy just fine without it.

Glad your smokin! Just cook the butt and eat it! (scarf all the burnt ends you can while nobody is looking!)

Jim Babek said:
Then the injection free's have it. I have never injected butts before but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.
Another question...on the brisket...fat side up or down??? I think I may have had a stroke since the last time I Q'd...

By the way, its snowing like nobody's business here now... :shock:

Normally I go fat side up 100%, but since you're doing it on the bottom grate under a butt, go fat side down!

I cook brisket fat side down no matter top or bottom grate. After they are done (when the therm goes in like butter...not a specific internal temp) I wrap them in foil and rest it FAT SIDE UP...that seems to tenderize perfectly for me.

Oh, and I hold for a minimum of 4 hours.

Jim Babek said:
Sorry I didnt post the results sooner. Everything turned out great the brisket came off about noon with the butt comming off about 3pm. Both were foiled then wrapped in towels and put in the cooler, brisket was put in fat side up, for 3 hours to rest. Both turned out excellent with the brisket being the best one I made yet.

The pics are of the fat side up. The butt never had a chance to be photographed...I left the house for 15 minutes and when I came back it was half gone.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/22 ... good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 ... good-times

Lesson to be learned = don't abandon good food. That brisket looks really good Jim.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom