Brisket this weekend!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer1

Senior Cook
I just went and bought a brisket, just the flat I didn't know better until now that I should have gotten a packer but I will live with the flat this time. I also didn't see any packers where I went (mostly just cost co) any suggestions on that to start?

So the plan is to wake up early Saturday and put the brisket on to eat some time in the evening no plans yet, I am thinking I will cook around 240* or so to 160 and foil to 190* (or tender). Rest for a few hours and eat. Do you guys do some juices or sauces w/ it or anything? IS my plan sound? It is about a 5 lbs flat so I am thinking about 7-8 hours to smoke? I tried to do some reading up to prepare for this one.

Thanks!

When i take it out and wrap it to rest, any juices that come out when i unwrap it go into a kettle with beef broth, onions and garlic for a au jus .

Gomer said:
I just went and bought a brisket, just the flat I didn't know better until now that I should have gotten a packer but I will live with the flat this time. I also didn't see any packers where I went (mostly just cost co) any suggestions on that to start?

So the plan is to wake up early Saturday and put the brisket on to eat some time in the evening no plans yet, I am thinking I will cook around 240* or so to 160 and foil to 190* (or tender). Rest for a few hours and eat. Do you guys do some juices or sauces w/ it or anything? IS my plan sound? It is about a 5 lbs flat so I am thinking about 7-8 hours to smoke? I tried to do some reading up to prepare for this one.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with flats Gomer and your plan is right on.

You can keep the juices as they are or mix in a bit of leftover coffee or cola and a couple dollops of butter, boil and reduce a bit for a nice sauce that won't overpower the brisket flavor.

If you choose to wrap in saran wrap before resting, you may not have much juice to work with as it seems to retain in the meat better than with foil.

If you are after some juice then just foil.

So many decisions. ;)

A wealth of information as always, thanks guys.

2 more quick questions.

1) What in the word is a dollop.

2) If I wanted to present my brisket nicely (on some greens) or something what do you suggest and what kind of greens are good for this?

Thanks again.

Gomer said:
A wealth of information as always, thanks guys.

2 more quick questions.

1) What in the word is a dollop.

2) If I wanted to present my brisket nicely (on some greens) or something what do you suggest and what kind of greens are good for this?

Thanks again.

Dollop

Brisket is BBQ and BBQ is supposed to be simple!! Present the brisket slices on a nice platter with the juices poured over. Garnish with a bit of parsley if you must! :roll: :LOL:

Hey Larry, thanks again, and I am only trying to impress the ladies with some presentation! hehe

Gomer said:
Hey Larry, thanks again, and I am only trying to impress the ladies with some presentation! hehe

In that case go all out!!

FYI, Ladies love Wolfe Rub! :shock:

The Wolfe rub is just waiting to go on the meat Larry :) I have some Original that I have been saving just for the ladies that I am going to put on tonight hehe

Gomer said:
The Wolfe rub is just waiting to go on the meat Larry :) I have some Original that I have been saving just for the ladies that I am going to put on tonight hehe

Sweeeeeeeet!! Score!! :LOL:

I will definitely have an update with the ladies reaction to the wolfe rub on sunday or monday hehe, a new testimonial in the works!

Gomer said:
I will definitely have an update with the ladies reaction to the wolfe rub on sunday or monday hehe, a new testimonial in the works!
It's spicy..it will make your meat howl :LOL:

Not sure why but I am having a hell of a time getting my WSM warm this morning, I dumped some coal in the bottom, a couple chunks of wood on that and then 1/2 a chimney on the top lit. Right now it is just holding at 198.

Did your charcoal get damp...are you using sand or water in the pan? You getting enough air to the lit stuff?

it is about 31 degrees out some of the charcoal (the stuff i lit mainly) had been outside in a covered container. vents are open pretty good right now and sand in my pan, it seems to be getting up higher now slowly creeping up, perhaps it just needed to get warmed up.

Back
Top Bottom