Bad Byron's Butt Rubb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Anybody ever try this stuff? It lives up to it's name! The saltiest rub I ever tasted. I can't abide by that much salt! Woody

Woody,

I have tried it and you are right it is salty, but if you do some checking Byron has had a lot of success out on the comp. trail using his rub.

Bruce B said:
Woody,

I have tried it and you are right it is salty, but if you do some checking Byron has had a lot of success out on the comp. trail using his rub.

Yeah but now all of the judges have high blood pressure!!!! :grin:

It's one of two that I've used for years. I really like it, and never tasted too much salt. Try Goron's Grub Rub for a sweeter taste. It's my favorite. Everyone I know uses the TexJoy, but to me it is kinda bland. I just finished my first order of TexasRub and it is good, but little too much pepper on the lips for me. I'm ordering the Pig Powder next to see if I like that.

Bad Byron's rub is a good one, need to understand that you need salt to start an osmosis effect and produce the best bark.
Jim

Well, I'm going to give her a shot this weekend on some butts. I know you need salt, but the main ingredient?

Woodman said:
Well, I'm going to give her a shot this weekend on some butts. I know you need salt, but the main ingredient?

Woody,
Salt is the second ingredient in my "WolfeRub". It is indeed a bit salty when you eat it by itself but not salty in the least bit on cooked meat. So if you are tasting Byrons itself, give it a shot on the meat.

Salt is just about the #1 ingredient in all commercial rubs. Even in Paul Kirk's books, his recipes always start out with Salt and then the sugar as the two most prominent ingredients.

1044 - Yes I did know that. Have you tried the TexJoy? I haven't, but everyone that I know that uses it loves it.

Well maybe I'll give that TexJoy a real try then. But that Grub Rub is really good if you like a sweeter bark.

Yes Howard I did see that it came from Beaumont! Just like that psycho who tried to cook that kid! What a nuthatch!

Make your own rubs! It's too easy and only takes a few minutes--and you can use better, fresher ingredients than you're likely to find in commercial preparations. (That, and the commercial makers shy away from the more 'expensive' ingredients, which really aren't.) And you're not paying top dollar for the salt and sugar that are the prominent ingredients in most rubs.

Make your rub without salt. Salt your meat separately first. You can control the salt this way. Salt a bit lighter for ribs, a little heavier for chicken or brisket, more for butt. Allow the salted meat to sit while you mix your rub. The salt will draw moisture to the surface so that when you apply your rub it will stick well and meld with the moisture and give you good bark.

I have a spice company mix my pork and poultry rubs for me. I can't make it for the same money they are charging me. It's a wholesale supplier and I know she turns over a lot of product, I can't complain about the quality of the rub at all. She makes up 15 to 20 pound batches that I go through in 30 to 45 days durning the spring and summer.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom