Odor from Cryo Pack of Spares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Opened cryo pack of 3 racks of spares from Rest. Depot and they had an odor to them that has permeated the house, the meat looked good, no slime or discoloration. I've rinsed them off with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water and it seems to be getting better.

Is this odor somewhat normal or should I just toss them. Thanks in advance.

Bruce B said:
Opened cryo pack of 3 racks of spares from Rest. Depot and they had an odor to them that has permeated the house, the meat looked good, no slime or discoloration. I've rinsed them off with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water and it seems to be getting better.

Is this odor somewhat normal or should I just toss them. Thanks in advance.

Bruce I've noticed a slight odor (sulfur type smell) as well in the past but didn't really worry about it. The last pack of spares I got from BJ's the odor was very strong just like you have stated. The meat looked good no slime etc., I checked the date and said F-it I'm not driving 80 miles round trip. Anyways, the ribs tasted perfectly fine etc after they were cooked. I don't wanna tell you what to do, but I'd go ahead and cook them.

yea i have noticed that to on ribs and i had a pork loin last week that also had the "funk"

i have been cooking mine with no ill effects

yeah it's the stinky butt syndrome. I've cooked and eaten them with no problems, but you're right to rinse, rest and smell. Think I read somewhere about the carbon dioxide or whatever they pump in that can make it smell

wittdog said:
That CO2 helps with color retention...but makes it hard to tell when Butts have gone bad

Isn't the Co2 only in the prepackaged meat where there is alot of void that would normally be filled with air?? Like the meats from WalMart and some of the grocery stores that don't cut their own meats? I could and may be wrong, but I don't think the cryovac food has Co2 in it.

Well after the vinegar/water bath and soaking in cold water for 10 minutes they still had somewhat of an odor and now that the wifey has that odor in her brain...she's not gonna eat them anyway, so I tossed them....Plan B----Fried Chicken.

Thanks guys!

Will Dittos James B. and a few others here. The sulphur type smell is perfectly normal and will be stronger the longer they have stayed in the package..but the smell will go away fairly rapidly when exposed to air. If you get some that have really gone bad or "soured" as the butchers call it...you will notice a smell which reminds a person of a musky smelling cheese and it will tend to get stronger and permeate the entire house. The fact that the smell didnt dissapate fairly rapidly makes me think it was wise to chunk em. The cryo they are using nowadays is thinner than was used at one time and more apt to get a hole in it and/or some pimply faced stock boy may have allowed them to get too hot afore going into the cooler. Most stores are good about giving refunds or at least replacements on those deals.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
Nope I saw on one of those tech shows about them adding CO2 to the cyro vac stuff.

Again, I don't know whether they do or not but for arguments sake and so we can all get educated on this, "If they injected CO2 (air) into the cryovac, how can it still be there once it's vacuum sealed"? I'm just asking and not being a wise ass about this, I really want to know the answer.

Unity said:
Isn't it carbon monoxide they use to keep packaged meat looking rosy-fresh? (CO instead of CO2)

--John 8)
Yes John you are right.
Larry...I hear you...next time the butcher thing is on the History Channel check it out.

wittdog said:
Unity said:
Isn't it carbon monoxide they use to keep packaged meat looking rosy-fresh? (CO instead of CO2)

--John 8)
Yes John you are right.
Larry...I hear you...next time the butcher thing is on the History Channel check it out.

I will, thanks.

Yeppers somebody recently posted a long official link to the fact they packing some of that stuff in carbon monoxide nowadays. I think it mainly found at Wally World abd Super Target maybe where they peddle stuff in the hard boxy looking cartons with a tight layer of saran over the top. I dont think they have quite sunk to using it in cryoed products yet. Not sure they could even do it logistically speaking. Think the hard shell trays must be critical to the procedure.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom