Beef Stews Done - Pics & Thanks yall!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
A crock pot of beef stew.. Does anyone like stew like me? I put cubed beef, onions,potatos, carrots and celery in it.. I used a package for flavor. I'm making it in a crock pot too.. So I can sleep and wake up to a stew smelling house... Do yall make a gravy or just leave it Au Jus? I'll take a pic once it's all cooked up and melts together... :D Have a nice day yall & Cook away!!!

Re: Guess what I'm making today?

surfinsapo said:
A crock pot of beef stew.. Does anyone like stew like me? I put cubed beef, onions,potatos, carrots and celery in it.. I used a package for flavor. I'm making it in a crock pot too.. So I can sleep and wake up to a stew smelling house... Do yall make a gravy or just leave it Au Jus? I'll take a pic once it's all cooked up and melts together... :D Have a nice day yall & Cook away!!!

Yep I love a good beef stew too! I'll do it in the crock pot too!

I add a chuck roast, cut up onion, minced garlic, salt, pepper and a half pot of leftover coffee or a couple cans of Coke or Dr. Pepper into the crock pot and set on low and let cook until I get home from work. Then add potatoes, carrots and celery and cook till tender. The starch from the potatoes is enough to thicken the gravy nicely. Man now I'm starving!

I love beef stew also. I don't use my crook pot much, I make mine on the stovetop. I dust the meat with flower prior to browning & that thickens up the gravy. I also make beef stroganof, hungarian goulosh & bavarin beef stew for a change of pace. all these are my familys winter comfort foods,

Hey SS you can also make mini beef pot pies with leftover stew & feeze em

I love beef stew. Its a staple around here when the weather gets cold. Put some corn bread in a cast iron skillet and yummy.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
I love beef stew. Its a staple around here when the weather gets cold. Put some corn bread in a cast iron skillet and yummy.

Hey Bill you ever tried makin Baked Grits? I found a recipe & it looks good
Almost like cornbread but using grits. I'm thinking add cheese & cracklins

007bond-jb said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":2sykbdzq]I love beef stew. Its a staple around here when the weather gets cold. Put some corn bread in a cast iron skillet and yummy.

Hey Bill you ever tried makin Baked Grits? I found a recipe & it looks good
Almost like cornbread but using grits. I'm thinking add cheese & cracklins[/quote:2sykbdzq]
Nope but I am willing to try it. Post the recipe.

Ok I never tried to make this Its from the recipe book: southern living the creole cookbook, page 136 named fried grits???

1qt milk
1tsp salt
1/4 cup margarine??? Butter would me better
1 cup quick cooking Gits??? If I make this I'm using stone ground grits

Topping for baking:
1 cup grated cheddar
1/4 cup melted margarine

Make the grits till they thicken remove from heat & beat with an electric mixer for 5 min? Pour into a 8x13 pan & chill,
Cut in 2in pieces place in a casserole dish, sprinkle with cheese
& pour melted margarine over top.
Bake at 350 for 40min.

It dosen't say to cover with foil I'm thinking the cheese might burn?

Sorry to jack your thread SS ;)

1. Sapo, we love stew in this house. My BIL told me to add some spicy V-8 to it one time...we tried it and it was great.

2. JB, I am not a big grits know it all...but do you know anyone the fries grits? I have had them on the stove top in boiling water...um, and in the microwave...sorry...I love me some good grits...hard to find here in C-Town!

I love a good beef stew- just not the potatoes for some reason. I still cook with them but give them to everyone except me.

Greg Rempe said:
1. Sapo, we love stew in this house. My BIL told me to add some spicy V-8 to it one time...we tried it and it was great.

2. JB, I am not a big grits know it all...but do you know anyone the fries grits? I have had them on the stove top in boiling water...um, and in the microwave...sorry...I love me some good grits...hard to find here in C-Town!

Do you want me to bring some up Greg? There is plenty around here.

Greg Rempe said:

Hummm My cajun speel checker/yankee translator ;) Is not sure what you are asking...
I always make em on the stove top & I do like to fry cooked cut in 1/2 cornbread slices with butter. The above recipe is mistakingly named Fried It should be named Baked (I didn't write the cookbook) I guess. I have never fried Grits but corndog batter is made with cornmeal & I have made that from scratch before...
Grits & cornmeal are the same thing just ground a little finner. They also bleach & remove the oil from fresh ground grits to extend shelflife.
Fresh ground cornmeal & grits need refrigeration soon after the bag is opened or the oil (corn oil) will turn rancid.
If you can find a grits/corn mill in your area it will be worth your while to buy it fresh. The tast difference is astounding, Like canned corn as opposed to FRESH corn on the cobb

Greg Rempe said:
I mean like deep fry them...I have had them boiled... :D

That would be Hushpuppies... their made with corn meal too. I don't think you can just deep fry raw grits, But the recipe I posted I'm sure you could deep fry the chilled cut squares. I'll bet they would be killer fried in butter flavor Crisco shortening, or better yet in bacon grease :shock:

Here's a starter recipe for folks who need one.

Beef Stew My Way

5 lb rump roast
oil
water to cover

2 Lipton Onion Soup Mix packets
2 McCormick Beef Stew seasoning packets
2 lg onions roughly chopped
3 pounds or more potatoes, peeled & cut large
3 cans (15 oz each) whole kernel corn drained
1 to 2 lbs baby carrots
1 can beef broth
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

Kitchen Bouquet for color
cornstarch with water to thicken

In a large pan brown roast in enough oil to cover bottom of pan or dutch oven. Remove roast and put in a pressure cooker with enough water to cover roast. Cook roast in pressure cooker for 1 1/4 hrs or until roast will shred. It can be done without a pressure cooker, but takes longer. When roast will shred, add all other ingredients except cornstarch and Kitchen Bouquet. Bring pot to a simmer with lid on until potatoes and carrots are tender. If more liquid is needed, add more water or beef broth. When done, while stew is simmering, mix some cornstarch with water and add to pot. Stir well. Keep adding cornstarch and water untill consistency of stew is the way you like it. Add as much Kitchen Bouquet as needed to get the color of the stew the way you like it.

Note: Flour and water can be used to thicken stew, it just takes less cornstarch for the same effect. You can use any cut of beef you like, chuck roast and such.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom