Lets talk Tattoo's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
And lets not get too far off base here.

Please keep this PG folks.

Do you have a tattoo?
Where is it located?
And what is it (can you post a picture) of it?
Do you have any regrets about getting it?

I am 42 years old and want/am getting a tattoo. I have been considering one sence 2002. I have been working on a design for some time now and would like your opionion on it/them. This is a tribute to my brothers at FDNY and NYPD who lost thier lives in the September 11 attacks. (This is not a place for politics).

Number 1 is where I started:

Number 2 is first draft:

Number 3 I like because of the "Morning Band" goes all the way across:

Number 4 is the one I like the best:

I am thinking left arm above the short sleeve line.

By the way, NO I will not change my mind about this. Just wanted to share a life decision with my BBQ Central Family.

Bill, Tattoos are personal...if I were you I would get the one YOU like the best...I wouldn't bother getting opinions as it isn't going on anyone else's body but yours...FOREVER! :shock:

And remember, they won't look like they do now....35 years from now!

PS, I have no tats! :D

No tattoo's here either. Greg is right it is a personal decision that a man/woman makes for his or her own reasons, really nobody else's opinion on whether to get one or not, matters.

Now I have an opinion on middle aged men getting tattoo's, but it's my personal opinion.

I have three.

The white will fade big time. Don't count on that as part of the design.
Don't just walk into a shop and get one based on the flashes on the wall. Talk to people around you that have them, look at the quality of the artwork. If it's something you like, ask them where they got it done.

There were plenty of artists here, but I chose to go down to Laconia, NH to get mine done my Dave Rubin from "Sign of the Wolf"....based on his reputation in the industry.

Make sure you KNOW the artist's skill so it's something that you'll be happy with....forever.

I have 4. As stated above white will crap out on you. Also keep in mind that sunlight will fade them. None of mine are visible with a shirt and pants on and all look pretty much as they did back when I got them and the oldest is better than 20 years.

Also take time and find a reputable artists. Make sure the place is clean and no body is smoking (smoking while tatooing is REALLY BAD).

I do not know if you found anybody but more than likely they can help you with your design so it translates as good as it can into tattoo.

Good luck, and no drinking.

Or find someone who can make up a whole bunch of transfers, and change it every few days. The white will stay fresh! :P

--John 8)
(No tattoos, except for where I accidentally stabbed myself with a sharp pencil in geometry class. :roll: )

I have a little ink here and there, and as stated already white can
be an issue. If you MUST have white, the only way I have seen it done is
to have your white areas done in a light yellow and let in rest for
12-15 months and then have it recolored with the white.....white isn't a
color most artist will even attempt to lay down.

You made a pretty cool design, BUT......

I know, there's ALWAYS a but! The design is cool, but the placement
area you are talking, I'm assuming you will be looking for
something approx. 4-5 inches across? If it's going to be that
small... your lettering on the mourning banner will need to run full
size (at minimum) top to bottom of banner and be fatter. The way
it is now the black will quickly bleed over through time and you will
lose the legibility of the letters (I think).

I hate to pick apart such an awesome design, but your stars AND
the stripes on your first design may be a better way to go, especially
with white being an issue. The more stripes without a good white
will provide the strip effect better, and the less of an attempt at a
bunch of white stars would detract less from your design. The rough
detail on your twin towers on the first picture may also work better
as an end result/design.

The only thing I would change/add if it were mine would be to "flag"
the ends of your mourning band......Hard to describe.....make them
go past the edges a little and then have them look kinda 3-D like
the are waving in the breeze...kinda like you picture a flag on a
pole doing. And definately have the edges of your red fire dept.
shield shaded and shadowed black or grey....it will make all the
difference in the world.

Once again...AWESOME DESIGN!!!!!!!... and I give you credit
for NOT getting "flash" out of a book or off a wall.

Don't worry about the pain...I fell asleep during my last one. My
very first one I remember they started with and outline and then
shaded it all in. The very first inch or so of outline when he started
felt kinda like someone had a really sharp razor blade and was
ever so slowly slicing my skin just barely deep enough to make
it bleed.........the entire thing after that just felt like someone
was rubbing my arm with some sandpaper.

just my $.02

Thanks for the advise guys. I will be checking out the artist and taking my brother who works for a doctor and he will be examining the equipment and the sanitation there of. Also, this will be a joint venture. My oldest is getting one too for her 21st B-day. We will be going together and getting them.

I have one. A bald eagle in flight just above the shirtline on my left arm. About 7-8" high. Never once regretted it!

Dam....Now I want more INK....XMASS is comming....I feel asleep during all of mine...there is something about the sound ouf that gun that is comforting to me...

I have this on my left shoulder.
http://www.mikehedrick.com/forum/uploads/20070918_084750_tat_white.gif

And on the right I have an image of the Earth and the word NAKED undernieth. From my band Naked House. I'd like to get some work done around that Tat soon too.

Think twice, Ink once bro.
peace
<><

Edit: Oh and the Earth Tat has a wicked scar going through it now from my crash. Looks kinda cool and eire at the same time.

The stick on tats that are out these days are hell to get off my kids....That might be a better way to go. You could put it in a different spot every week. ;)

i have 3 tats . one on arm and 2 on the other above the ss line . on one arm is the cookie monster [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif] got when i was 18 with some lettering one the bottom . will get that covered up soon (it was a spring break thing) [smilie=drink.gif] .

the others have personal meaning . its a double cruifx that stands for my two brothers that passed away and above that one is a angel with her hair going down the sides of the cruifx . that is for my mother that passed away . unfortunately i am getting one more for my father . all that work is in black outline only . the one for my father is gonna be St.Michael the archangel .

so the short of this story is as long as the tatto has meaning they last forever but if you get one in a drunking state they will fade with the buzzzz .

I agree that it has to have meaning. I have been thinking about this for 5 years so its not a whim. The desing has been developing along the way. The reason for the 911 tribute is because at the time of the attacks I was on the job as a cop. For the next few days, I hung out at the fire house with some close friends at my volunteer FD station. I felt the pain from both sides of the fence. I want to show that I will never forget.

Bill,
I have two tattoos and will get more when I figure out what I want next. My left arm has a cool looking cross with a banner across it saying "Semper Fi" with red, white and blue in the lettering. My other is a head and shoulders of a very angry Gorilla on my right shoulder blade. If I would have known at Martinsburg I could have showed you both of them.

Talk to the tattoo artist and he or she will be able to talk you through your design and let you know about the lettering and colors. Remember, no drinking when you go in..... :LOL: :LOL:

Well, I went to our local tattoo place yesterday and asked about the design. He is mulling it over and I will check back with him tomorrow. I dont think I will be getting it done there. The place is kinda gross. Never been in there before so didnt know what to expect.

Bill...... Not saying a scummy place is good to get a tat,
but if they have thier autoclave and work area clean that's
a good start.

I don't know if it's an industry standard or not but
I feel much better when ........ fresh/new work gloves are
from a sealed package opened IN FRONT OF YOU.....a working
autoclave for thier gun parts..... not entirely sure if "NEW"
needles are a must or autoclaved ones are good enough
(but I feel better when they open new
needles , like the gloves in front of me).... and when
they dip thier gun in the ink, I prefer those little disposable
cups they squirt thier ink into that get thrown out after each use, rather then the autoclave cleaned ones.

New gloves, new needle and disposable ink cups from a
non-contaminated bottle reduces much risk.

Basically your risk then lays in the artists abilities.

Anyone can do a tattoo.....it takes an artist to lay down
some quality ink.

Yup... Again with SJ.

No real Artist would ever object to having you sit on the sidelines and watch them as they do some simple small tats. Watch the process...

Things that YOU will look for...

The Artist should FORCE the tattoo'e to look at him/her while prepping the work area, (sani, scrub, donning) removing ALL instruments from the clave (which you have been shown is at temp).

And to give you the 20 questions before hitting the pedal!

When done, most will also want you to watch as they wrap, break the needle with pliers, and place it in a locked "Sharps" bin before you leave.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom