Yummy bird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Got a 16 pound bird, but didn't read the package close enough, and found out that it was pumped with solution. I wanted to brine for flavor, so I cut the salt content of the brine in half and used apple juice, maple syrup, homemade stock, oranges, apples, onion, garlic, allspice, cloves, rosemary, and thyme. Let it soak for 24 hours.
I put the bird on over Royal Oak briquettes, 1 chunk of maple, 1 chunk of apple. I couldn't find any cherry. Kept the WSM at 300.. Done at 163 in the breast.

All the flavors from the brine really came through, and the bird was extremely moist and juicy. Yeah Cliff, that's your family's asparagus casserole in the background (love it!). I carved it up into the breasts, thighs, drums, and wings, wrapped it up and headed over to where we were eating. The reactions were "OMFG!" ... "Soooo Good" and and bunch of happy "MMMMMM'ing.

Now that's smart thinkin!!! The turkey looks awesome.. It looks like a piece of art!!! :D

Now they should show that Turkey on Food TV. Great job. Thanks for the input on brining the pumped Turkey. I followed that procedure for years using a full salt ration. Seemed like as long as the rub wasnt real salty it worked out ok.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
btw, thanks for your help Wed. night....I ended up frying and
everything was fine.
;)

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I also put some fresh oranges, apples, onion, rosemary, thyme, & sage in the cavity when it went on the WSM..rubbed the skin with EVOO, sprinkled with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Puff said:
img_172266_0_b15559ae2e8b3456a37863ab5231811a.jpg
She's back! :D

--John

Scotty,
Glad you went against conventional wisdom and all them websites that advise against brining an injected bird. Bird looks great.

Back
Top Bottom