Your first sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer1

Senior Cook
I am working on a completely original sauce, my first time as I am new to Q as most of you know already..

Just curious if some of you have some good stories (success or otherwise) about your first sauces?

Well I just finished cooking it, I wanted to try something a little different as far as the flavor, it is a sweeter sauce.

Ketchup, and Vinegar I guess are my bases and for my "special" flavor I am using some Orange Blossom Honey, I think it will be good on some baby backs and I am going to put it on a rack tomorrow.

"Completely" Original? Like with no store bought Q suace as the base?
I start with Sweet Baby Rays and kick it up with more spices, hot sauce, fruit juice concentrate, and maple syrup. It's damn good.

I haven't used store bot in over 15 years, have maid many recipes i found on the net. have a base ive used forever and add to it or delete some just mix and match. BUT i did hit the home run on a Raspberry chipolte sauce and rub i got going on now, did a rib fest and had the judges come over after the awards and want more. try alot of diff recipes and taylor it to your taste then run them past your freinds to be brutaly honest to you, and remember they will have taste for the sweet store bot junk, when you hit it ,you'll know it.

It took me about a year and a half to get the flavor profile I wanted. Then another year of fine tuning to get it "right". The fine tuning was very specific, I would only change one ingredient at a time. We ate some nasty stuff in the beginning.

I was given a base home made recipe by Woodman a few years back, tweaked it here and there and it seems to be a crowd favorite for all the people we have by for BBQ. I don't have any interest in trying to sell it or anything like that...but its better (to me) than any store bought right out of the bottle.

Mines a ketchup/tomato base, its a sweeter sauce with honey, molasses, corn syrup amongst other things like onions, garlic ....

I have made an original tomato based sauce and the crowd loves it...I have had so many people ask if I sell it that I am going through the process right now to be able to bottle and sell it legally. I just like the fact that you can say you make your own BBQ Sauce. People seem to love that idea.

Redneck, i totally agree, i havent bot any pre made sauce and rubs in 15 years, people get a kick out of your creativity.

ScottyDaQ said:
"Completely" Original? Like with no store bought Q suace as the base?
I start with Sweet Baby Rays and kick it up with more spices, hot sauce, fruit juice concentrate, and maple syrup. It's damn good.
My wifes like SBR too. Like your ideas for tweeeking it up. Thanks ;)

We make our own and use some store bought.

Practice making the sauce and adjust as stated before one ingredient at a time. That way you can determine the changes needed by your preferences.

It took me about 5 years to get my sauce just right. My last adjustment was about 2 years ago. My daughter puts it on everything. She don't even use ketsup anymore on hotdogs, hamburgers and french fries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom