Yet another pork butt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
Ok one more question about pork butt. The last hour that you are cooking your pork butt do you put sauce on it? I have seen it done both ways and I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are. Please let me know how you do yours and why. Thanks!

I never peek until the butts are done, so, no sauce, mop or anything else for me.

I pretty much leave them alone until they are done. I can't really see where adding sauce in the last 1/12th of the cook is going to help anything. It would add just a bit of flavor to the bark.

Who knows... it might be just enough to put you above the next guy at a comp.

As always... try it both ways and see what you think.

ddog27 said:
Ok one more question about pork butt. The last hour that you are cooking your pork butt do you put sauce on it? I have seen it done both ways and I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are. Please let me know how you do yours and why. Thanks!

No mop and no sauce while on the smoker , the most I would do is inject some od Chris Lillys injection , during the prep work .

I don't touch any butts of briskets once they go into the cooker until I foil them. I've seen winning cooks who will glaze the bark on the butts. This adds another level of flavor, sort of like cooking in the first layer of sauce on a slab of ribs.

Like Rich said, the glaze will add another dimension to the bark. I've seen fellas who don't sauce their pork, glaze the outside to give it extra flavor. Turning in glazed pork butt with no sauce...that's what I call having confidence in your Q! =D> I'd like to do it one time just to see how my stuff would stack up. Fortunatly, I'm working a good thing right now. Maybe when the tides turn.

Good Q!

Jack

I like to build a glaze. I put some sauce into a medium sauce pot. I add an equal amount of apple juice to the pot and heat it up. I glaze the butt or whatever, and add sauce back into the pot. I keep this up until the pot is full of straight sauce. Then add some honey. One or two coats of sauce and honey mix, and I call it done. Yummy! =P~ =P~

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
I like to build a glaze. I put some sauce into a medium sauce pot. I add an equal amount of apple juice to the pot and heat it up. I glaze the butt or whatever, and add sauce back into the pot. I keep this up until the pot is full of straight sauce. Then add some honey. One or two coats of sauce and honey mix, and I call it done. Yummy! =P~ =P~

Good Q!

Jack

Jack, I do a similar thing. I use the smoke stock (juice that comes out of the foil) and add sauce till it's all sauce. We use multiple thin coats and one thicker coat on ribs and chicken. I learned the technique you use from Garry Howard of The Smoke Ring Fame, one awesome cook and nice guy.

Rich,

We have common friends. :)

Garry is one of the good guys. He has helped many a BBQ fanatic. IMHO New England is definatly a more competitive area because of his influence. Now, SC is too.

I still stop by the porch on occassion. 8-[

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom