WSM'ers - Water Pan Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry D.

Head Chef
I have a "Piedmont Pan" setup with my WSM water pan set above a Brinkmann pan. I haven't used water in many months. I've never had any problem with keeping temperatures down, and I've got a Stoker so maintaining a consistent temperature is no problem. Last weekend I cooked two butts for 16 hours on one fill of lump charcoal (and had some left over) - I don't think I ever got that kind of "mileage" when I was using water in the pan.

I used sand in a wsm pan, then switched to a brinkman pan with twice as much sand, then back to a wsm pan. I had trouble getting the temps to stay steady on my cook last night. It would seem to be locked into a temp on minuite and then rise or drop in a big way the next.

I was concerned that the brinkman pan sat to low in the chamber, cutting off the air somehow. This may not be the case at all but I was grasping for straws.

I am going to try the set up you use on my next cook.

I use water on low and slow (Brinkman pan if it's an overnighter) and empty foil covered pan on high heat cooks.

I have 2 WSMs, and have sand covered with foil in one, and have been experimenting with small balls of foil crumpled up in the bottom of the other pan, and then covered with foil. It creates an air gap like a piedmont pan has, so there is no problem with radiant heat effecting food on the bottom rack. Brian

My first 2 cooks I used a clay pot base, foiled in place of the waterpan. It worked great, I tried it after checking out the Stoker site. Not sure if it was the heat or the drive home but it cracked, So now I'm using a foiled pizza stone in the water pan and fashion a foil drip pan on top of it. Clean up is a cinch, and it holds rock steady temps.

swamprb said:
My first 2 cooks I used a clay pot base, foiled in place of the waterpan. It worked great, I tried it after checking out the Stoker site. Not sure if it was the heat or the drive home but it cracked, So now I'm using a foiled pizza stone in the water pan and fashion a foil drip pan on top of it. Clean up is a cinch, and it holds rock steady temps.
The pizza pans...a good idea...I wonder if a 1/2 foil pan would fit on top to catch the drippings...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom