WSM Temperature difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I have only used the lower rack once to smoke the left over parts of some ribs on my WSM. I plan to smoke four butts this weekend. What is the temperature difference between the upper and lower rack? Will there be much of a time difference if the butts are the same size (which they aren't)? I'm using sand in the water pan.

Thanks in advance.

cleglue said:
I have only used the lower rack once to smoke the left over parts of some ribs on my WSM. I plan to smoke four butts this weekend. What is the temperature difference between the upper and lower rack? Will there be much of a time difference if the butts are the same size (which they aren't)? I'm using sand in the water pan.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce did a great study of it and found that at some point in the cook they basically balance out and are about the same. Maybe Bruce remembers where it is.

Well us po boys cant afford them ECB's with the fancy paint jobs aka WSM's but will give you one hint. Once you block off the top grate with dead animal parts..baked tates..rutabagus etc... the bottom side dont get much reflective heat from the downstroke function. For example the grocery placement is very impotent. Say you got two chicken halves on top..the other two on the bottom need to mismatch sorta like playing tic toe toe if you get my drift. The bottom ones always come in a little cooler cuz them two on top be blocking off the reflective heat coming down from the top. It works the same way on any stacked with or without the optional water pan arrangement as far as I can tell. Am I making any sense here? If your cooking for money cook two halves and put them on the top grate. Simple huh? If you cooking for fun it dont matter as long as nobody gets e coli.

bigwheel

craig castille said:
I'd have to second that. From my own experience in the wsm, there is little difference between upper and lower grate on a long cook. Using sand however, might tempt me to rotate them.

I agree with almost everyone except I would keep a close watch on the sides of the butts directly over the sand. The fuel is going to be working hard to get the temps up and that's going to make the sand get HOT.

Might want to switch top and bottom earlier than the halfway point and also turn the the butts as well.

Al

I've cooked 4 butts on a WSM numerous times, two on the top, two on the bottom. Even did six one time, but not again. They've always finished at identical times. This is using sand as well. Personally, I think flipping is not necessary. I've done two packers as well without flipping grates, with the same results.

My suggestion if you are not comfortable doing this is to use a meat probe in one butt on the top and one butt on the bottom. If you notice they're not cooking evenly after several hours, then you have the option of rotating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom