Wsm running too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JB2228

Assistant Cook
Howdy,
I am having a constant issue with my wsm it is running too hot, I mean with the bottom vents closed it runs @ 330-340 I am using kingsford, but is it possible that I am using too much fuel or too much fuel in the chimney starter? Please help any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks Jb

Are you using the minion method? If not, light 25 briquettes in a chimney and evenly distribute them and your wood chunks across the top of the unlit coals. Might also have to better "form" the cheesy door for a better fit if it is sucking too much air around it. My experience is with a 22.5 WSM.

Make sure when you fire it up, use the Minion Method, and shut the bottom vents almost all the way and then open them up a little at a time. It is much easier to increase the heat, once you overshoot the mark it harder to get the temp back down. It really seems to me you are getting too much air.

Too many lit coals is my guess. I use my wsm as grill a lot. A full chimney with all vents open and no water pan will only get to 375ish. I have to crack lid to get hotter. I use blue bag kingsford. With 2/3 chimney lit, minion method, I run 250 all day long. your either sucking air, or two many lit coals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Got tired of waiting on free app, so I bought it.

Also the use of a waterpan would help in this situation. A lot of people think that the waterpan keeps there meat tender but in reality it can actually help you cook low and slow when you wanna regulate the temp to 200-225. I'm not sure if your using one with it full, but I think that would also help you along with other tips on here from others.

THANKS EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED...THE TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I AM THINKING IT IS MORE OF A FUEL ISSUE, I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON MY NEXT COOK. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP! CHEERS.
jb

Back
Top Bottom