Wood Chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Thats a great question. The first thing to concider is the equipment your cooking on. The WSM using the minion method doesnt need a lot of wood chips/chunks. I use 4-5 chunks per long cook. I may add another one twords the end. If your using a stick burner, I burn 4 oak logs to 1 flavor log. Grilling is another animal. I use a few chunks in my kettle when I am grilling. Hope this helps.

wdroller said:
Bill The Grill Guy said:
Thats a great question. The first thing to concider is the equipment your cooking on. The WSM using the minion method doesnt need a lot of wood chips/chunks. I use 4-5 chunks per long cook. I may add another one twords the end. If your using a stick burner, I burn 4 oak logs to 1 flavor log. Grilling is another animal. I use a few chunks in my kettle when I am grilling. Hope this helps.

What size chips/chunks do you prefer for a WSM?

A fist size is a good chunk size. I place it in the charcoal as I pour it in. Usually one in the middle and 3 or 4 around the outer areas. I like the smaller limbs for the WSM and I use logs in the offset I have.

I use less wood than Bill, it's personel preference. I have a friend who uses red oak and if he isn't farting smokerings he is not happy..

Jim

Well anybody get a fist sized chunk got to have a small fist if you buying at Wally World. Maybe the size of a midget lady fist be closer to how big they normally come. Like the smart fellers say..depends on your equipment. If you running a tight ship with hatches battened down one per cook might be plenty. If you running a loosey goosey offset you could fill it up with chunks and not taste the flavor. It aint science..its art. Put them 5 or 6 senses to work. Throw a few on there and see whut happens. Blah blah blah. Just thinking out loud here of course:)

bigwheel

jminion said:
I use less wood than Bill, it's personel preference. I have a friend who uses red oak and if he isn't farting smokerings he is not happy..

Jim

now that is funny.

bigwheel said:
Well anybody get a fist sized chunk got to have a small fist if you buying at Wally World. Maybe the size of a midget lady fist be closer to how big they normally come.
bigwheel

Wow. And how about those bags from BBQ Galore???

Well seems like I bought a bag of apple chunks at BBQ galore one time and they wasnt very big neither.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom