Wild pig cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
One of the guys I work with took his son on a hunt before he leaves for the Military. He asked me to BBQ a small picnic from the wild pig they took. The picnic is very small and very lean, between 4-5 lbs. I am concerned that with it being so lean it would dry out. So I wrapped it in bacon in an attempt to form an artificial fat cap and have added a water pan to Buford in an attempt to not dry out this out. I just seasoned the meat with some S&P and plan to smoke it with hickory and a small bit of cherry wood. I plan on foiling it while it is on Buford. Does anyone want to hazard a guess what the cook time will be other than It will be done when it’s done? I also tossed on a couple of split chickens on for dinner tonight and I am planning to make the Buffalo Wing Dip later in the week with the leftovers. Here is the link for today’s cook.
http://img84.imageshack.us/slideshow/pl ... 9408l.smil

I haven't cooked wild hog before, but I'd suspect you'd cook it pretty much the same as a regular picnic. I think you are thinking in the right direction though about foiling it or even better you could cook it in an aluminum pan. If you end up getting alot more rendered fat than you think, just pour some out of the pan so it doesn't boil in the juices and turn to mush.

Can't venture a guess on total cook time, but I would foil at 170 and add some apple cider to the foil packet.
DATsBBQ

There was a wild hog on the road to work this morning. It seemed to have lost a fight with a motor vehicle. Must have hit it just right because it wasn't messed up.... just dead. The guys here wanted me to cook it up, but I declined.

I didn't think about a pan................ That's a good idea. I was thinking of cider vinegar and apple juice in the foil.

Finney said:
There was a wild hog on the road to work this morning. It seemed to have lost a fight with a motor vehicle. Must have hit it just right because it wasn't messed up.... just dead. The guys here wanted me to cook it up, but I declined.

I think it scared you to go pick it up cause it reminded you of Ned Beaty in Deliverance! 8-[

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:

I think it scared you to go pick it up cause it reminded you of Ned Beaty in Deliverance! 8-[
It did have a pretty mouth. LOL :eek:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Id stay away from the foil and vinegar thing. Your on the right track with the bacon wrap. Was the skin removed?

Skin was gone as well as whatever fat was on it. That's the way I got it. I thought about mopping but with the colder temps and winds today I'm not going to. This is the first time I've used Buford in weather like this so Ive had to make so adjustments. It's all good.

Good call on the mop also. Stick burner's can be tough to run around here this time of the year. Sounds like your doing what you need to do exactly when you need to do it!

brian j said:
wittdog said:
I didn't think about a pan................ That's a good idea. I was thinking of cider vinegar and apple juice in the foil.

i wouldn't foil until after it reaches 190 or higher. all foiling is going to do is speed up the time it takes to reach a certain temp and you want this thing to lolly gag through it's platues. that is when all the magic happens.

Now there's an interesting bbq term :grin:

brian j said:
wittdog said:

i wouldn't foil until after it reaches 190 or higher. all foiling is going to do is speed up the time it takes to reach a certain temp and you want this thing to lolly gag through it's platues. that is when all the magic happens.

Brian normally I'd agree with you, but in this case with it being wild hog versus farm raised I'd foil around 160* or cook in a aluminum pan. From what I've seen and heard, they don't have the fat or marbling like a pig we buy at the store and you don't want that thing to dry out.

brian j said:
wittdog said:

Brian I know where you are coming from but I am concerned that this is going to dry out. I would rather sacrifice some of the magic, my pit is running on the cooler side today and I‘m going to let it when I foil, I will let it cook in it's own juices. I'll try to split the difference of letting it lolly gag through its platues by compensating by running the pit temp cooler thus hopefully negating the foil increase effect. Right now between dealing with this piece of pig, the weather, my kids, the other stuff I have to do and trying to update you guys I feel like a one armed man juggling chainsaws. No offense to you one armed jugglers out there. I don’t have any pans big enough so I’ve decided to foil now at 130* I think most of the magic happens between 160* and 190* I am thinking about unfoiling at ~160* kind of like applying the 3-2-1 rib thing. Does this makes sense to anyone or am I just not thinking right? I really appreciate everyone’s input it's been really helpfull.
I don't know if it came across in the pic but this shoulder is relativey thin only about 4in thick.

Here it is at 130* ready to wrap. I also threw on a lazyman’s fatty. Just sausage with rub. This is my first fatty attempt. Daddy’s helpers are grilling up some grub too. Notice the color of the shoulder,

<
http://img269.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 19slm.smil

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="brian j":1wwkvmbj]
wittdog said:

Brian normally I'd agree with you, but in this case with it being wild hog versus farm raised I'd foil around 160* or cook in a aluminum pan. From what I've seen and heard, they don't have the fat or marbling like a pig we buy at the store and you don't want that thing to dry out.[/quote:1wwkvmbj]

Larry you are right they have no fat and no marbling, at least the one I was given.

Fatty is off and I the chicken is done. Here are pics of the fatty, the batteries died while I was trying to get pics of the chicken. Then the boys came and wanted samples. Looks like no pics of chicks. The wp is wrapped and the temp is at 140* and the smoker 225* I’ll try to get pics of wp when it is done and keep you informed of what I am doing.

Witdog,

I've never had wild pig before. Does it have a wild taste to it like most game does?

I agree with the Captain. Injecting would probably be a great idea due to the low fat content of the meat!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Kloset BBQR said:
Witdog,

I've never had wild pig before. Does it have a wild taste to it like most game does?

I agree with the Captain. Injecting would probably be a great idea due to the low fat content of the meat!

Thanks for sharing the pics.
I don’t know my buddy said that when they ate some on the game reserve, it didn’t have that wild taste. I’ve heard of people using bacon with venison to draw some of the wild taste away, I’m hoping that the bacon would not only add fat but would draw the wild flavor out if there was any. I thought about injecting the meat but decided to go with a more minimalist approach. Salt Pepper and Smoke. This will be a learning experience at the very least.

If they game is field dressed and butchered properly, there should be minimal if any gamey taste. Like I said I've never killed or eaten wild pig, but I have other game and this has been my experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom