Why the hell not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Got what has to be at least an 11lb pork butt on the WSM tonight. I bought a pair at BJ'S this afternoon...total weight was 20+ pounds and the one that is one the WSM is WAY bigger than its brother was!

Becky's Grandma is coming up tomorrow so last minute I throwed a butt on for some BBQ tomorrow. Also, I just whipped up my baked beans (NO, NOT THE ONES THAT GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK!!!) and we'll have those for a side as well! :D

Currently about 3 and a half hours in to the cook and I have a dome temp of 235*. I am thinking this bad boy could take 23 hrs or so :eek:

I'll take some pics if I can...have a great weekend everybody! :!:

Not to criticize the Administrator, but if it was me, personally, IMHO, I'd crank up the heat just a tad. 235 dome temp equates to about 220 top grate, and unless you're looking for a 23 hour cook, you'd be safe with 250 at the dome and cooking around 235-240 at the top grate. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with that big butt.

I anticipate an increase in temp overnight as it seems to do by itself...small air leak...if it doesn't, I will turn her up in the AM!

Now, know your role and shut your mouth!!

:grin: :grin: :!:

You know...you'd figure you guys wouldn't go off topic on my freaking thread! You're all banned!

Anyways...back on topic...

As I stated in my second post to Bruce, around 3am I was prepping a bottle for the little one and gandered at the ET-73...sure enough, it had reached 270* and was steadily on the climb #-o ...had to go out and shut all the vents down to get it back under control.

Then at 4am...the skies opened up and man did it pour for about 45 minutes. Luckily I had my make shift rain deflector up again. However, I did have to go out and open two of the vents to 1/3 in order to rebutt the heat the rain was taking away.

Currently, while still raining, the butt is at 170* and the WSM is hammering along at 258* dome! PREFECT!! :D

By the way, I will be moving all of the off topic posts to a new thread called well who knows what! :-X

Greg Rempe said:
You know...you'd figure you guys wouldn't go off topic on my freaking thread! You're all banned!

Anyways...back on topic...

As I stated in my second post to Bruce, around 3am I was prepping a bottle for the little one and gandered at the ET-73...sure enough, it had reached 270* and was steadily on the climb #-o ...had to go out and shut all the vents down to get it back under control.

Then at 4am...the skies opened up and man did it pour for about 45 minutes. Luckily I had my make shift rain deflector up again. However, I did have to go out and open two of the vents to 1/3 in order to rebutt the heat the rain was taking away.
Currently, while still raining, the butt is at 170* and the WSM is hammering along at 258* dome! PREFECT!! :D

By the way, I will be moving all of the off topic posts to a new thread called well who knows what! :-X

Guru, my man! GURU

Greg, when you get temp spikes don't shut the vents down 100%, even if they continue to climb. Unless they get over 350 or more you'll be fine if they're high "temporarily". Just close them more than they were and wait, they'll drop but not immediately. Otherwise you're gonna have to just adjust them again once the temps drop and you'll be fooling with them alot more than you have to trying to get them back up. You should basically only have to make one adjustment after your pit gets to 200*. I know you know what you're doing, each cooker is different and weather plays a factor sometimes, but I've noticed in past cooks you do alot of adjusting due to either high or low temps. Just my .02 brother.

yeah when I first got my wsm I did a lot of that vent flipping. It would rise, I'd close. It would drop, I'd open. After a while I learned PATIENCE.

Greg, are you sure that's not a whole shoulder? That's pretty big for a butt.

I can understand that, it's been pretty hectic the past 12 hours. Watching the WSM humm along, trying to catch a couple zzzzz's, making coffee, yeah, I can see where as busy as you've been, there just wasn't any time left to get the camera and maybe snap a picture or two for your members here on the BBQ-4-U board.

Perhaps next time, you can get a big chuck roll, say a 18lb'er, then during that 20 hour cook you should be able to squeeze in a picture or two.

Enjoy that butt!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bruce B said:
I can understand that, it's been pretty hectic the past 12 hours. Watching the WSM humm along, trying to catch a couple zzzzz's, making coffee, yeah, I can see where as busy as you've been, there just wasn't any time left to get the camera and maybe snap a picture or two for your members here on the BBQ-4-U board.

Perhaps next time, you can get a big chuck roll, say a 18lb'er, then during that 20 hour cook you should be able to squeeze in a picture or two.

Enjoy that butt!!
Yeah! What Bruce said!! =D> =D> =D> That's it!!! I'm outta here!!!!! :lcry: :lcry: :lcry:

Where's that link to TVWB??? #-o

How could you let that happen? I am not going to be able to barbecue anything this weekend because of my little girl and boys birthday party. :-( an :D

Thanks,
Missing Link.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom