Why Did Baby Backs Come Out Tough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
mrhappy said:
Even though it was my first attempt, I thought I was doing everything right. They were fairly dry and very tough to chew and break apart.
What do you guys think?

1 hour with nothing but rub and smoke

1/2 hour without smoke

45min. in foil with apple juice to tenderize

1 hour outside the foil in indirect heat to firm the surface

The temp was right around 225 for most of the time, as high as 275 and as low as 190, but not for long periods of time. I only opened the lid to foil them once, used lump charcoal and small chunks of hickory - in offset smoker with deflector and chimney extension.
Thanks

Unsteady temps, temps not high enough and you didn't cook them long enough.

Loinbacks (aka-baby backs) will take 4.5-6 hours to properly cook and tenderize while BBQ'ing (temps in the 245º-260º range).

I cook loinbacks 3 hours in the smoke, 45minutes in foil and then another 45 minutes back in the smoke and saucing, until they're tender.

I vote with Larry on this one. Now I cooked loin backs once or twice but have cooked a ton or two of spares and consider of generally the same genre of pig bones. Loin backs is curvy and spares are straight. Thats how BBQ Mom say is how they tell em apart at the judging table. Anbody turn in a curved bone is daid meat..so to speak:) They wasn't done yet. lay em meat side down and dont fool with em till you can reach in with heat proof dishwashing gloves and see if it fairly easy to tear the meat twixt two adjacent bones in the middle of the rack. If so..wrap and throw in the hotbox for at least an hour..preferably two or three. Dont spill the juice which collects on top as they cook. Sorry to be so redundant on this method but somebody have to teach him how to cook ribs right:)

bigwheel

Ok well aint nobody gonna hold it agin you for being from Dallas on here..hopefully:) Now sure you know Big D. is the demarcation line twixt imbred E. Texas grit eaters..and us sensible non grit folks? Seems like Central E. Way is the official NS dividing line. Whut part o town do you live in over there? If you dont mind a person being nosey of course. Thanks.

bigwheel

Well congrats on the Nashville habitation. Person from E. Texas might as well push on a little further East huh? If you hit an Ocean stop:) I aint never been there but next to Texas Tennesee is my next favorite State. Them Tennesse Boys come down and help us kick a little guest work coola once upon a time if you might recall. Little place called the Alamo..San Jacinto etc. Least got to admire em for that helpfulness if nothing else. You had any chili from Tootsie's? That where my old pal Tom T. Hall liked to hang out back in the good old days. Course the Old Possum be in their drunk most any time..or so I heard:)

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom