Whole pork shoulder help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNguy

Assistant Cook
I'm doing my first whole pork shoulder tomorrow and have a question. When do you guys think I should quit putting smoke to it? I will be using a gas smoker and plan on using hickory and either peach or apple. I have read to stop with the smoke at 140 degrees and I have also see to stop at 10 hours. What do you guys think?

Since I don't "SMOKE" with gas, I have some smoke being added the whole time it is in the smoker.

BOB
thught that the gas flame was adjusted incorrectly if it smoked :? :roll:

Bob In Fla. said:
Since I don't "SMOKE" with gas, I have some smoke being added the whole time it is in the smoker.

BOB

Well, I guess I found "that" guy on this forum. Every forum has one, glad I found you early on....

TNguy said:
Bob In Fla. said:

BOB

Well, I guess I found "that" guy on this forum. Every forum has one, glad I found you early on....
There's more than one around here...

Dittos to Cappy as usual. Keep the smoke cranking..if your getting nice sweet smoke. What kinda gas operated machine do you got there? I can make my big pit run on propane if I want. Tried it a few times. Was a little pricey. I usually cook with electricity for smoking with grilled items going to the gas grill. Aint bought no nasty old charcoal in years.

It is a masterbuilt vertical smoker. The main reason it is gas is because I'm just getting into BBQ'ing and read it was an easy way to start. I will get a big pit one day, but just trying to learn for now.

The shoulder has been on for 4 hours now and the smoker is holding nicely between 225-235. Smoking with hickory and apple wood.

Hey great choice. I think our pal Pigs uses a series of similar gizmos for catering duties. Course I think he is living under a bridge and hanging out at the Public Library during the day nowadays. Next step is swing by Wally World or Academy Sports and snag yourself an electric Brinkmann Gourmet..then on to Harbor Freight for a carpenter's router speed controller. You plug the cooker into the controller and it lets you control the heat...around twenty bucks or so. Its like a heavy duty light dimmer switch but is much cheaper than the dimmer switch. Now remember if you turn it down too low the wood will quit smoking. Thataway you can get rid of the nasty old propane and the cost of running the gizmo gets lost in the electric bill.

TNguy said:
It is a masterbuilt vertical smoker. The main reason it is gas is because I'm just getting into BBQ'ing and read it was an easy way to start. I will get a big pit one day, but just trying to learn for now.

The shoulder has been on for 4 hours now and the smoker is holding nicely between 225-235. Smoking with hickory and apple wood.

Need pics! By the way, Pigs is probably out on the road now. Didn't he get a job driving a truck?

Back
Top Bottom