who has a good chicken rub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why just rub? Have you brined a yard bird? Done Beer But chicken? Bacon wrapped tenders/chopped up breast skewers .... The possibilities are endless. Rub can be a compliment on many poultry type grilled thingies :)

:Edit ... Fatz has some awesome rub. I just had it on some thighs on the kettle the other night. One of the most lip smackin GooooOOOoood ones I've ever done !

I have tried various commercial rubs that say they are for poultry and some are good and I have tried developing rubs with poultry in mind. I have tried just salt and pepper, etc. and I always come back to one seasoning for chicken...Montreal Chicken Seasoning by McCormick.

It has garlic , salt, onion, black pepper, parsley, red pepper, orange peel, paparika, green bell pepper and the ever popular other spices. I always come back to it, I love the flavor it gives chicken. When you open the container and take a whiff your mind says CHICKEN.

Readily available at most grocery and/or Sam's Club type stores.

Bruce B said:
I have tried various commercial rubs that say they are for poultry and some are good and I have tried developing rubs with poultry in mind. I have tried just salt and pepper, etc. and I always come back to one seasoning for chicken...Montreal Chicken Seasoning by McCormick.

It has garlic , salt, onion, black pepper, parsley, red pepper, orange peel, paparika, green bell pepper and the ever popular other spices. I always come back to it, I love the flavor it gives chicken. When you open the container and take a whiff your mind says CHICKEN.

Readily available at most grocery and/or Sam's Club type stores.

Good, but way too much salt for me.
Not so much the taste... but just reading the label.
I wouldn't be able to have anymore the resr of the week. :badgrin:

Hey Finnster,

While I'm sure that Taurus and I, and probably most of the members here feel bad for your low salt tolerance, the man was asking for recommendations for poultry rubs, he didn't ask what low sodium poultry rubs do you think would fit in to Finney's diet.

It's not always about you. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: (just funnin' )

Here's mine:

D-dog’s Poultry Rub

• 1 cup ranch dressing mix
• 2 Tbsp of black pepper
• 2 Tbsp of chili powder
• 1 Tbsp of KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning
• 1 Tbsp of ground red pepper

Use the kind of ranch dressing mix you add milk and mayonnaise to, but DO NOT add milk and mayonnaise to it! Only use the mix powder. I usually pick up a bottle of this stuff at Sam’s Club or Costco.
Mix ingredients together and apply to any kind of poultry!!

Captain Morgan said:
Tex, I would not think scallops would need any extra moisture.

Most of the scallops at the markets are already a water added product,
unless you can get fresh "dry" ones.

ddog27 said:
Here's mine:

D-dog’s Poultry Rub

• 1 cup ranch dressing mix
• 2 Tbsp of black pepper
• 2 Tbsp of chili powder
• 1 Tbsp of KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning
• 1 Tbsp of ground red pepper

Use the kind of ranch dressing mix you add milk and mayonnaise to, but DO NOT add milk and mayonnaise to it! Only use the mix powder. I usually pick up a bottle of this stuff at Sam’s Club or Costco.
Mix ingredients together and apply to any kind of poultry!!

D Dog that sounds good....rumaging through cabinets for ranch dressing mix.....

i usually just use mine mixed in with hamburger meat , never thought of using it in a rub :(

taurus252 said:
thanks for that...makes great sense. I am going to try that...Ill do a search on beer can chicken. Cant you brine the chicken with salt and honey and then cook beer can style? that sounds tasty...but not sure how itll come out.
Yes, you can. For me, the big deal with fowl is the skin--I love skin, and I love it crispy. To help the skin crisp air dry the chicken--especially if it's been brined. Rinse the chicken in cool water after you pull it from the brine, dry it well inside and out with paper towels, then put it on a rack on a sheetpan in the fridge, several hours or more is good, but even an hour or two helps.

Separating the skin from the breast meat can help as well. I do this before brining usually, but not always. If you're rubbing as well, cut the salt in the rub to a minimum. I mix rub with evoo and/or unsalted butter to a thick paste consistency and apply that to the breast meat under the skin, then dry rub the outside of the bird. I stick whatever aromatics are appropriate for the rub and brine I've used in the cavities.

Captain Morgan said:
well now that you say that, a brine with maple syrup may be very interesting!

Check out Dan Gill's brine from the FAQ. I seem to remember that having maple syurp in it. I used it for many years 'till I switched to O'Riley's simply because it was easier and provided a flavor that was widely accepted. You can use any sugar in a brine. I enjoy subbing out the sugars in brines to change the profile. Cane Syurp is one of my favorites. Hard to find in SC though. Ask me to tell you the Cane Syurp story at SOTB.

Good Q!

Jack

Captain Morgan said:
so what you're saying is my original thought process is right in line with the FAQ?

Should I start charging for my advice?

:D

Advice is usually considered .02. Hard to make a living .02 at a time. :razz: :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom