Which rub on my first Boston butt..?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to either cook two smaller butts or split the big ones into two chunks. Give mo outside meat which is where the flavor is located. I cook one half nekked and the other half wrapped at about 170 or so. Mix em together when it time to push and pull. Butts do real well at 260-275. Dont take long. If you decide to cut it half in two using the bone-in portion as the one which gets cooked nekked works well because you can use the bone as an indicator for doneness. If the bone half is in the foil not much telling whut is going on with it.

bigwheel

Well I just went and checked the temp again... The butt was already at 183. So I foiled it and put it back on.... Time to get the cooler ready cause this bad boy is going to be done soon. Hahaa

img_216190_0_4c70e34ae133c72526d59b8e73350e33.jpg

Looking good Jester. Cooking fast too. I always cook 8lb butts and they usually cook in about 12-14 hours @ 225*. The nice thing is they hold well in the cooler. Looking forward to more pics!

Shores said:
Looking good Jester. Cooking fast too. I always cook 8lb butts and they usually cook in about 12-14 hours @ 225*. The nice thing is they hold well in the cooler. Looking forward to more pics!

I'm surprised it's cooking so fast... Do you cook on an offset or vertcal smoker..?!? I've heard the UDS will make things cook quicker since it's somewhat a direct method of smoking.

Lookin good. I knew it would be faster. I take it up high, then foil when I take it off. Looking forward to some great pictures.

We all go to BBQ places all the time looking for the best BBQ aroud here.... I was told tonight that this was the best they'd ever had. It was a great compliment given I've been working on this BBQ thing for the past year. Great food and good times. Thanks everyone...!!!

Way to go Jesture. That looks killer.....We just made tamamles last night with some of our lefctover pork....killer! Now it's time to go buy a brisket and do one of those....ha!

Looks great! It's also great to get a nice compliment about your work as well.

To answer your previous question; I cook on both a vertical (WSM) and an offset (The Good-One Marshall). I've heard that the UDS's cook faster too, but how can the temp be kept the same (225*-250*) and cook faster?

Shores said:
I've heard that the UDS's cook faster too, but how can the temp be kept the same (225*-250*) and cook faster?

From what I've ready it has to do with thefire being directly below the meat.... and maybe becuase there's no water pan or diffuser seperating the meat from the heat. That's my assumption at least. =)

Jester said:
Shores said:
I've heard that the UDS's cook faster too, but how can the temp be kept the same (225*-250*) and cook faster?

From what I've ready it has to do with thefire being directly below the meat.... and maybe becuase there's no water pan or diffuser seperating the meat from the heat. That's my assumption at least. =)

I can buy that. Both the cookers I have pretty much cook like a convection oven. The heat source is directly blocked with the water pan on the WSM and the Good-One has a damper between the firebox and cooking chamber. In each case, the meat is not sitting directly over the coals like on the UDS. Looks like it delivered a great product! One of the things I like best about cooking is the challenge it brings to learn how to cook great, or even just really good, on what you have at hand. Be it the smoker, grill, camp fire or stove top. You my friend are getting that UDS figured out pretty quickly!

Back
Top Bottom