Whew! What a weekend!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Just got home from my gig at the Winery today. It is almost 11:00 pm. Got to the jobsite Sunday at about noon! We thought we'd get 600 so I planned on 300 meals. We sold 108! I just broke even, but she is giving me a case of wine! Oh well! It was appx 90 and stifling! I know you Tejas and Southern boys are used to it, but up here it means folks don't EAT! She said 600 showed up throughout the course of the day, but only 108 actually wanted to eat pulled pork, beans, sausage , salmon, and slaw! I managed to sell about 10 leftover butts for $20/ea! I'm stuck with 100 sausages, 3o lbs of slaw , 5 gallons of beans, and 20 lbs of salmon! I don't have a large freezer! The good part was two great BBQ buddies dropped their lives and came out to help me for free in the heat! Uncle Bubba ( Kevin) and ZBQ (Neil) spent all day sweating and taking orders from an a-hole like me and didn't complain one bit! When I last saw Neil, I thought he was going to pass out! Hopefully, he is sleeping in his nice air conditioned hotel room as I write this! He stayed up all night with me Sunday. We were rubbing 22 butts at midnite! Eating Slovaceks sausage with Texas Pepper Jelly on tortillas at 3:00 am! Well Neil, hopefully it did not scare you too much in your catering aspirations!
I did not make any money, but I am rich in friends! Thanks guys! Woodman!

ps. I did get about 4 referrals out of it though!

pss. got to turn around and go to Columbus to do a grad party this weekend! Oh boy! :!:

Sounds like you got two good friends there Woody. Too bad about the gig not making you any money. Question for ya. Have you or anyone else here ever done "street festivals" selling BBQ? Just wondering.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Sounds like you got two good friends there Woody. Too bad about the gig not making you any money. Question for ya. Have you or anyone else here ever done "street festivals" selling BBQ? Just wondering.

No Bill. I am always scared that I will get stuck with too much food! Here are some photos of yesterday's cook. I included some that will hopefully, be helpful! Woody

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... 1762067809

Woodman said:
Bill The Grill Guy said:

No Bill. I am always scared that I will get stuck with too much food! Here are some photos of yesterday's cook. I included some that will hopefully, be helpful! Woody

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... 1762067809

Nope. 8-[

Nothing too exciting about seeing butts for vending. The mindset while catering/vending is a little different than comps or backyard where it is more likely to be more laid back, so it kind of slips your mind that others would want to see them. It's just different and something you have to experience to understand. When crunch time hits and everyone works together and pulls their own weight you kind of just get in a mode and things happen like they're supposed to. You're there to do a job for money, make sure things are done right and on time and that's about it.

Woody
When cooking at a winery if you can get sample of the wines before hand, you can match the wines to the what you are serving, may even want to make suggestions on the menu. You will find that more folks will be willing to try the BBQ cause they are interested in a certain wine and how the BBQ and wine compliment each other.
You make a market for the Q and the wine at the same time, makes you a hero with the winery.
Jim

Now that's a good idea. Imagine the staff inside telling people...
"now this one matches well with the salmon outside, and this
one is a lovely compliment to the smoked pork." Those
wino's will come running.

I recommend the '75 sanford ripple wit da pork butt that's been bathed in kingsford for 16 hours. =D> :grin:

Back
Top Bottom