where do you get your smoking wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyReb

Senior Cook
been looking around the net for some pecan wood and found a few places but very costly to ship

any reasonable places that you know of?

I buy mine locally, but was checking out the Charcoal Store the other day and their prices include shipping and seemed reasonable to me. Think I may treat myself to a bag of their chunks soon.

BTW, they advertise here on BBQ Central as well. Tell them you heard of them here!

how much do you have

i have been using pecan shells but they tend to get moldy after a few months of storage

crazyhorse said:
how much do you have

i have been using pecan shells but they tend to get moldy after a few months of storage

Put them in a dry area in a breathable container, like a milk crate, etc. The should not get moldy like that.

oh yea there are plenty of trees in monetta but those pecan tree owners frown upon you cuttin limbs from a $6 a lb producer of pecans 8)

i get the shells for free from a cracking house nearby but after awhile bugs get into the meat left over and the shells will mold also

I got a 5 gallon bucket full of pecan shells, already hulled, that I've had for 5 years kept in a dry place and they are still good to go. Today I filled up the back of my truck with pecan logs that I'm going to cut into chunks later this weekend,

What i really want is some cherry and apple without having to pay through the nose to get it in a bag, but like you said, people frown when you go chopping up their yard tree for bbq wood!!!

Wanna trade? I also got some good seasoned oak all chunked up.

Gulf coast.. Still piles of it from Katrina.. I just got a bunch from Mississippi..Some guy brought it in a truck...I'll see if he is going back again..

Thanks Larry, Charcoal store looks good but I just went there and they do not seem to include shipping in their prices. Still gonna try them out though.

Gomer said:
Thanks Larry, Charcoal store looks good but I just went there and they do not seem to include shipping in their prices. Still gonna try them out though.

yea seems the shipping cost more than the product :roll:

Gomer said:

Gomer I'm sorry I gave you the wrong information. It's Smokinlicious I meant to say.......they do include shipping in the cost, one flat rate for the wood and shipping in the Continental US. Very reasonable prices I think! $42 bucks for 1 cubic foot (28lbs) of wood and that includes shipping! Sorry for the confusion.

No problem Larry! it is great news that they have the no shipping, there. That alone about halves the price.

Edit: Just ordered some now for my Christmas Ham :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom