Whats types of wood do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla

Sous Chef
I have been collecting free wood all year and have got a good supply going. So far I have a 1/4 cord of apple, 1/4 cord of peach, 1/2 cord of oak, 1/2 of Mesquite. I'll be cutting another Mesquite tommorow and a very large Post Oak next week so I should have a few cords split and stacked by the end of June. What about you guys?

I've got Apple, Oak, Sugar Maple, Hickory, Cherry, Guava and Pecan. Pecan is starting to run a little low, have to restock soon.

Would like to try peach in the future.

I’ve got a cord of apple, and small amounts of cherry, hickory and maple. I’m going to try to get some more today pecan and whatever else he has.

My In-laws have about 20 pecan trees and one of them is about to be history. I have a overgrown pear tree in my yard that will look good in my firebox.

Chunks... hickory only.

I've heard it said many times that unless the que is exposed to smoke for 6 or more hours you can't tell any difference between various species... but I just haven't found that to be true. I think I prefer hickory to the others I've tried and I very, very rarely have que exposed for 6 hours or more. I usually wrap in foil after 3-4.

zilla said:
Green Hornet said:
Live oak and Austrailian Pine. Orange when I can get it :!:

Whats this? Never heard of Q over Pine.
I've heard of it. Not a real pine as I recall but a hardwood. Supposed to be good smoke wood...

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
common Australian tree widely grown as an ornamental in tropical regions; yields heavy hard red wood
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Yup an invasive one here at that. Planted years ago as a wind break in the orange groves and by the beach. Most of our tree trimmers give away as much as I can carry away. It imparts almost zero flavor, that I can tell. Thats why I finish off with the oak.

I have a buddy in the tree demolition service :!:
In stock, Apple, pear, peach, and Hickory.

What is this Guava wood you speak of Greg? 8-[

I got about a 1/2 - 3/4 of oak about a 1/3 of apple. Might be able to get my hand on some cherry soon and some peach.

Chris

I have some apple and wild cherry on hand but I've been using pellets lately...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom