whats the best way to cook a tir tip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I was giving two tir tip from my dad a week ago. I am wanting to cook one of them this weekend and was look for the best way to cook one.

I like to know,
what should be the temp of my grill?
what temp should I cook the meat to?
and any good rubs for the meat?

The Missing Link said:
I was giving two tir tip from my dad a week ago. I am wanting to cook one of them this weekend and was look for the best way to cook one.

I like to know,
I've not done them 'cause I can't find them here but when I do, I'll do it this way. This guy's done alot of tri-tips over the years. =P~

Link, I have done a couple. I rub it down with any of my favorite rubs. Put it on the grill direct to sear all sides. Move to indirect heat and cook until it hits 125 - 130* internal temp. Let it rest for 10 or 15 minutes with a loose foil tent over it. Slice thin and enjoy!

Say we have a 2.5 lb tri tip. Approximately how long will it take to reach 125-130 using the linked method of direct heat searing then indirect heat? I've got a thermometer and will use it, but need to have some idea on timing as I'm entertaining guests tomorrow.

We smoke em for 2 hours to 135 at 300
Or direct heat then indirect to 135 maybe 30 min or less
if using direct heat bring it to room temp before grilling
so the inside and out side cook closer together
dont want crisp outside and still 120 inside
But the smoke ring on smoked tri tip is really neat

Thom Emery said:
We smoke em for 2 hours to 135 at 300
Or direct heat then indirect to 135 maybe 30 min or less
if using direct heat bring it to room temp before grilling
so the inside and out side cook closer together
dont want crisp outside and still 120 inside
But the smoke ring on smoked tri tip is really neat

Still saving my green stamps for a WSM.
I'll put 'em out an hour before they go on the grill.
I'll plan on them being on the grill in the 1/2 hour range.

Thanks.

The Joker said:
[quote="The Missing Link":zwam9qe9]I was giving two tir tip from my dad a week ago. I am wanting to cook one of them this weekend and was look for the best way to cook one.

I like to know,
I've not done them 'cause I can't find them here but when I do, I'll do it this way. This guy's done alot of tri-tips over the years. =P~[/quote:zwam9qe9]
Joker if you find some here keep me in mind. 8-[

LowRent said:
Say we have a 2.5 lb tri tip. Approximately how long will it take to reach 125-130 using the linked method of direct heat searing then indirect heat? I've got a thermometer and will use it, but need to have some idea on timing as I'm entertaining guests tomorrow.

About 45 minutes to 1 hour....ballpark!

ScottyDaQ said:
Where's Helen?

Giving my toilet some love after a bout with food poisoning.

OK! Helen way?
Buy bottle of Susie-Q www.susieqbrand.com Seasoning or make your own, below.

Tri-Tip Seasoning
3 tablespoons non-iodized table salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind
1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
(TVWB)

Get your charcoal, lump, or red oak! on one side of the grill.

Season tri tip evenly...heavily if you like. Susie's has enough salt to kill me so...I go easy.

Direct grill about 7 minutes per side...or to your liking. I like a burnt, crusty outside and a moo moo middle.

Move indirectly for 45 minutes or so. I rotate/flip once about halfway, if I remember. I don't use a thermometer...I just know my times with my wind factor. Nick's 125-130 sounds right. No more than 135 off the grill.

Sometimes, if requested, I will return and grill for another couple minutes per side.

Foil: two months ago I had the Canadians in town. The Dad, expert griller in his opinion, said he'd cook for the night. By the time I got home he had started the grill and had something wrapped in tinfoil. It was the tri tip. I damn near wanted to beat him with the tongs!

moving on...
Rest for 10 minutes on cutting board covered with foil.

Slice...thin? I don't know...I slice 1/2" (thickness of pink rubber eraser, not the one on the end of a pencil)...is that considered thin? I've seen men slice tapered triangle cuts to 3/4" slabs. Across the grain.

Eat with fresh salsa. I swear... if you do not serve salsa with your tri tip here (tri tip capital area), it's a crime. I was at my soccer team's BBQ last weekend, and just about everyone asked repeatedly when the salsa was showing up.

"Authentic Tri Tip"? Read below.

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip

1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tri-tip
Red oak logs, or charcoal and oak chips

Directions:

First, oakwood logs are placed in a pit with movable grate and burned until red-hot. Backyard chefs also can use charcoal mixed with oakwood chips and bark available at local markets. Once lit, the fire should be hot but not blazing.
Season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic salt to your desire or try some of our local traditions with Susie Q’s Santa Maria Style Seasoning or F. McLintock’s BBQ Chef Seasoning .
Do not trim off the fat before putting the meat on the grill. By placing the fat side over the fire first, the juice will come up through the meat and make it tender.
Sear the lean part of the meat over the fire for 5 to 10 minutes to seal in the juices, then flip over to the fat side for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the cut and the desired degree of doneness. When juice appears at the top of the meat, it is time to flip for another 30-45 minutes.
The fat can easily be trimmed after cooking. It is important to slice tri-tip against the grain the long way, not across the triangle. It won't be a uniform cut but it will be more tender.

http://www.santamaria.com/visit/section ... becue.html

wittdog said:
The Joker said:
[quote="The Missing Link":4w6mnpx8]I was giving two tir tip from my dad a week ago. I am wanting to cook one of them this weekend and was look for the best way to cook one.

I like to know,
I've not done them 'cause I can't find them here but when I do, I'll do it this way. This guy's done alot of tri-tips over the years. =P~
Joker if you find some here keep me in mind. 8-[[/quote:4w6mnpx8]
I have a bunch =P~
Would be willing to trade for some Polish sausage 8-[

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom