What to eat with pulled pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allisonandrews said:
The Joker said:
Lots'a good suggestions here folks! :(

I agree.

I'm currently looking up how to do one now (as far as rub, cooking temp, done temp, etc.) I'll be upset if I don't get to do my bbq this weekend and also try out my new FoodSaver. Actually, if I don't get to do it this weekend, I will just make it a requirement for the weekend after - it will be my birthday weekend, so I will have final say.

So far, I am thinking light coat of mustard, cover with rub. Cook at same temp for briskets etc. (around 225 degrees). And, cook until about same temp as brisket (around 200 degrees). Am I right (or at least onto one method that would work?)
That'll get you there! :( I like to take mine to 195-200º and cook at 220º. Don't use mustard though but I kinda like using Worsty sauce (in place of the mustard) ~ Rub it in and apply your rub. Same as using mustard. I'll tell you though, most of the butts I've cooked, I just applied the rub and they were fine. Good luck and TAKE PICS!! :(

I'm going to have to remember to take pics this time. We had a great looking display at Memorial Day, but we were at my in-laws. I kind of got the 'are you crazy' look when I went for the camera. We had already had a bit too much 'family time' and 'adult beverages' so I just let it go and skipped the pictures.

The next bbq's will be on my turf and I will try to get some pictures. I tend to get so excited when I take them off the smoker that I forget sometimes. I guess I need to take some more pics of the smoker as well. Maybe one of it loaded up on the inside with some beans simmering away on top of the firebox...

allisonandrews said:
I'm going to have to remember to take pics this time. We had a great looking display at Memorial Day, but we were at my in-laws. I kind of got the 'are you crazy' look when I went for the camera. We had already had a bit too much 'family time' and 'adult beverages' so I just let it go and skipped the pictures.

The next bbq's will be on my turf and I will try to get some pictures. I tend to get so excited when I take them off the smoker that I forget sometimes. I guess I need to take some more pics of the smoker as well. Maybe one of it loaded up on the inside with some beans simmering away on top of the firebox...
Tease! :!: Take 10!! [-o<

Allison,

Do you like what we call the bark?

Some people wrap their butt in foil around 165 to 170* then take it to 195*. Others don't foil at all. I've done both and both come out well. I use mustard but worcestershire sauce is good also. I just took a butt out of the freezer to do Saturday.

After you get the butt to 195 or 200 wrap in foil, then a towel and place in a dry cooler (igloo) for about an hour. It will pull great.

I make sandwiches but most of the time I just eat outside meat (bark) with a mix of the inside meat. Here are some pictures of a cook I did back in Feb.
http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Boston-Butt22006/

I like mine on a hamburger bun with either colslaw or the mustard sauce (I think it was the Carolina Gold sauce). The coleslaw recipe I make is tangy, not sweet.

The cooler trick works well and makes it very easy to pull. Sometimes I chop it after it's pulled so it has a finer texture. This also helps to get the bark blended in more.

Whatever you do, do NOT put the meat in the fridge before it is pulled!!
#-o :)

Wittdogs B said:
I like mine on a hamburger bun with either colslaw or the mustard sauce (I think it was the Carolina Gold sauce). The coleslaw recipe I make is tangy, not sweet.

The cooler trick works well and makes it very easy to pull. Sometimes I chop it after it's pulled so it has a finer texture. This also helps to get the bark blended in more.

:lmao: :lcry: :lmao: Why not? Hubby doesn't get mad, does he?? I do have to make mention that after reading only 3 of WittDog's B's posts, she spells a hell of alot better than her husband does!! :grin: :grin: :grin: 8-[ Seems to know her s*@t too.....

Chuckwagoncook said:
I like to take some hashbrowns with onions and garlic, brown one side in the skillet, then flip put some pulled pork, and your favorite cheese, finish in skillet until other side is browned. You can add alot of your favorite ingredients(jalapeno's, green onion, or whatever you like) Put on plate, then you can top with a bit of coleslaw, sourcream, or drizzle of bbq sauce.

I have also done something similar with leftover mashed potato's, make a potato cake and top w/pork and other toppings.

-Fried cabbage and noodles w/ pulled pork.
-Pulled pork taquito's, roll up pork and cheese and etc. in a corn torilla and deep fry. Best to make them up and freeze, then deep fry, doesnt make as big of mess in fryer.
-One I havent tried yet but want to is a pulled pork and goat cheese stuffed ravioli with a bbq flavored tomato based sauce? Need to work on the sauce first!
-BBQ pulled pork Tamales, I have done it with brisket, and served it with a jicima slaw.
MAN!!, That sounds too good!! =P~ =P~ :)

Anyone ever have Carnita's? We ate out last night at a Mexican resturant and I orderd the Carnita's which is spiced pork. You just roll it up on a flower shell and you got a meal. I have a Mexican friend who buys my bbq in whole butt to make these for her family. SOME kinda good.

carnita%201.jpg

The Joker said:
[quote="Wittdogs B":3z65mj85]I like mine on a hamburger bun with either colslaw or the mustard sauce (I think it was the Carolina Gold sauce). The coleslaw recipe I make is tangy, not sweet.

:lmao: :lcry: :lmao: Why not? Hubby doesn't get mad, does he?? I do have to make mention that after reading only 3 of WittDog's B's posts, she spells a hell of alot better than her husband does!! :grin: :grin: :grin: 8-[ Seems to know her s*@t too.....[/quote:3z65mj85]
I think the reason that she spells better is that she uses the WSM and is not a knuckle dragging stick burner like her husband. As far as the pork in the fridge before its pulled……..
](*,) ](*,) :tant:

Chuckwagoncook said:
I like to take some hashbrowns with onions and garlic, brown one side in the skillet, then flip put some pulled pork, and your favorite cheese, finish in skillet until other side is browned. You can add alot of your favorite ingredients(jalapeno's, green onion, or whatever you like) Put on plate, then you can top with a bit of coleslaw, sourcream, or drizzle of bbq sauce.

I have also done something similar with leftover mashed potato's, make a potato cake and top w/pork and other toppings.

-Fried cabbage and noodles w/ pulled pork.
-Pulled pork taquito's, roll up pork and cheese and etc. in a corn torilla and deep fry. Best to make them up and freeze, then deep fry, doesnt make as big of mess in fryer.
-One I havent tried yet but want to is a pulled pork and goat cheese stuffed ravioli with a bbq flavored tomato based sauce? Need to work on the sauce first!-BBQ pulled pork Tamales, I have done it with brisket, and served it with a jicima slaw.
If you added smoked meat to your sauce and then let it simmer you will probably get the results you want.

I know what rub I want to use on the pork. It is one I have used on chicken and ribs before and really like. What about the sauce? I was thinking about using a store bought one and thinning it down with the drippings from the pork.

Also, we always use beer on our brisket and I have heard about people using apple juice on pork. Has anyone ever tried an apple or sweet flavored wine cooler as a baste?

allisonandrews said:
I know what rub I want to use on the pork. It is one I have used on chicken and ribs before and really like. What about the sauce? I was thinking about using a store bought one and thinning it down with the drippings from the pork.

Also, we always use beer on our brisket and I have heard about people using apple juice on pork. Has anyone ever tried an apple or sweet flavored wine cooler as a baste?
I've been using a mop of apple juice or peach nectar, water, cider vinegar, a little worch and some peach schnaps.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Anyone ever have Carnita's? We ate out last night at a Mexican resturant and I orderd the Carnita's which is spiced pork. You just roll it up on a flower shell and you got a meal. I have a Mexican friend who buys my bbq in whole butt to make these for her family. SOME kinda good.

carnita%201.jpg
Never ate there, but man that looks good :!:
Where is this Carnita's you speak of 8-[

When I fry eggs, I add pulled pork on top of the eggs as they cook. When they are done, I sprinkle a little tabasco sauce on them and you the breakfast of champions.

Puff said:
Bill The Grill Guy said:

carnita%201.jpg

Carnita's is a dish. I have seen it in a lot of Mexican joints. Very good. =P~

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Puff said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":30tapweh]Anyone ever have Carnita's? We ate out last night at a Mexican resturant and I orderd the Carnita's which is spiced pork. You just roll it up on a flower shell and you got a meal. I have a Mexican friend who buys my bbq in whole butt to make these for her family. SOME kinda good.

carnita%201.jpg

Carnita's is a dish. I have seen it in a lot of Mexican joints. Very good. =P~[/quote:30tapweh]
#-o I thought it was a restaurant. Never heard of them and we eat Mexican alot :eek:

Back
Top Bottom