What I'm up to.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TAC1

Mobile Pitmaster
In the yard with my grill, back in the boonies of
It's been a very long while since I post anything on here about what I'm up too. So I thought that since I finally had the time to smoke up a butt roast I would post about that.

I still haven't bought a proper smoker so I removed the hotdog rack from my grill and placed two aluminum pans on the charcoal rack. One pan was for water (around a quart) under the roast and the other for my charcoal and wood chunks. I'm using royal oak natural lump charcoal and hunks of hickory. I removed one of the grates for easy access to the charcoal and wood pan. I have always had my doubts about smoking on a grill and I've learned today that it can be done when that's all you have. (7 1/2 hours in as of writing this and 1 1/2 hours to go.)

As for the pork, I used a Carolina styled rub recipe I found on the web and rubbed it well and let it sit in the sink for about 30-45 minutes to let it get closer to room temp and also let the grill warm up. Then I placed the roast on the grill grate with the fat side up and let it cook for 2.25 hours then rotated and cooked another 2.25 hours and then wrapped it in parchment paper cooked it for another 1.5 hours rotated, then 1.5 hours and now I have flipped the fatty side (most of the fat has cooked away) down and am letting it cook around 45 minutes like that then I'll flip it back over and finish out the last 45 minutes with the fat side up. Totaling 9 hours for 9 pounds of meat.

So far the meat seems tender and moist. I'm planning on pulling it and serving it as a classic pulled pork sandwich with vinegar barbecue sauce. It could be served over nachos in tortillas or however else a person would want to have it. I'll add how the finished product turns out when I get it all wrapped up. :)

Attachments

• 101_1529.jpg
    101_1529.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 101_1530.jpg
    101_1530.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 101_1531.jpg
    101_1531.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 337
Okay so I pulled the roast off the grill and the bone came out with ease. The flavor is good, nice subtle and smokey. The texture of the cut of meat left it clingy so it became chopped pork, and I now have a mental note to experiment with less fatty cuts of meat. (possibly a sirloin) Along with a mental note to make sure I seriously look into a smoker, because it may be possible to use a grill, but that doesn't mean it should be done. >.<

Wow that peace of meat looks very delicious, it must take you ages to cook something so thick.

Back
Top Bottom