What I "cooked up" this morning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bbquzz said:
Some wild lookin' peppers, I assume from your own garden ... nice work.

The only one I grew was a habenero that went into the mix. All the rest were given to us.

john pen said:
The recipe got cut out on my computer.. Please repost
Ok, here it is, from page 50 of Creole Flavors by Kevin Graham (a 1996 book from the local used book store):

4 cups finely chopped, ripe red chili peppers, stems removed, seeds remaining
8 cloves garlic, peeled
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 clove
1 bay leaf
pinch ground allspice

Place all of the ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. When cool, remove the bay leaf and clove with a slotted spoon and discard.

Place the hot sauce in a food processor (in 2 batches if necessary) and puree on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Bottle the sauce in sterilized jars and refrigerate until ready to use.

This is such a basic recipe it should work with just about any type of hot peppers. I didn't have any red peppers, just a mix of green ones (jalapenos and some I had no idea of the variety) that had been given to us. And since our food processor had bit the dust a day or two before, I used a blender to puree the stuff, which I think worked better anyway.

you inspired me to do some with the peppers out of my garden, killer stuff thanks for sharing.....i did one batch with half bannana peppers and half jalapenos for the whimpy people in my family but the straight jalapeno batch i made is good stuff...dosed some chili with it the day after I made it

Looks great and thanks for the recipe!!!! Jalapenos are abundant right now and the last few times I got them they were real hot too.

Excellent! Thanks for the recipe. I use allspice in hot sauces as well. Been trying to make a good garlicy (sp?) sauce with some Thai chilis a buddy sent from Kentucky. Getting close but those peppers are so hot I need to thin them out with something.

bknox said:
Excellent! Thanks for the recipe. I use allspice in hot sauces as well. Been trying to make a good garlicy (sp?) sauce with some Thai chilis a buddy sent from Kentucky. Getting close but those peppers are so hot I need to thin them out with something.
Pineapple will do the trick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom