What does a mop REALLY do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
I've been looking through some recipes for different things and the more I see it the more I think about mops and what they do. I hear things like its suppose to make the meat jucier or more tender, etc. But I find that hard to believe. I mean, I imagine you mop your meat with your apple juice based mop (or whatever) and all it does is evaporate....

Anyone have an opinion on this?

The only real benefit to a mop is it is fun to slather the meat with something that smells good. However, it is not what makes BBQ so moist. That's the cooking process - no getting round that. So, do it if you want but there is no real benefit outside the fact that it can be kinda fun.

Love2<º((((>< said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1mivvxgr]It will add minimal flavor and extend your cooking time.

So you dont think there's any real benefit to doing it?[/quote:1mivvxgr]

I actually do. But my bop of cider vinegar, Jalapeños, onions, and few other strong things. We did a test once, and you could really taste the difference.

Love2<º((((>< said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1umqk0cv]It will add minimal flavor and extend your cooking time.

So you dont think there's any real benefit to doing it?[/quote:1umqk0cv]

Steve Raichlen is a big mop advocate. Why don't you call into the Radio Central Show (8/19) and ask him personally? It would be a good question to ask.

It soaks up more than it distributes.

Kind of like a paint roller.

They're not as hard on the meat as a brush. They don't disturb what's already there.

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Love2<º((((><":2j68ly76][quote="Larry Wolfe":2j68ly76]It will add minimal flavor and extend your cooking time.

So you dont think there's any real benefit to doing it?[/quote:2j68ly76]

Steve Raichlen is a big mop advocate. [/quote:2j68ly76]

Makes sense....since he has an entire book dedicated to mops and such

Mops can add another layer of flavor. They also can be used to keep the bark from getting so hard.
If you are using a small smoker like a WSM, using one often enough to do what it should will greatly increase your cooking time. On a big offset it won't change your finish time nearly as much.

Competition Chili cooks know that spices can get lost while cooking so they will make three or more dumps of spices at timed intervals. Mopping can do the same. It can also inhance bark. Depending on the techniques you employ mopping can be a good approach.

jminion said:
Competition Chili cooks know that spices can get lost while cooking so they will make three or more dumps of spices at timed intervals. Mopping can do the same. It can also inhance bark. Depending on the techniques you employ mopping can be a good approach.

That's an interesting point. However as I have mopped - and as I have watched others - the mop being mostly liquid tends to wash the rub off the meat. Other than spraying - where little in the way of more spice could actually get to the meat - how do you mop so that the orig. rub stays on? In my estimation if one wants to recharge the spices a second rub would work better.

Just wondering.

monty3777 said:
jminion said:

That's an interesting point. However as I have mopped - and as I have watched others - the mop being mostly liquid tends to wash the rub off the meat. Other than spraying - where little in the way of more spice could actually get to the meat - how do you mop so that the orig. rub stays on? In my estimation if one wants to recharge the spices a second rub would work better.

Just wondering.
You need to wait until the rub sets up before you start to mop...

Stogie said:
After cooking a pork butt for 18 hours un foiled the bark becomes so hard as to be inedible. The mop allows it to soften somewhat.

I notice the same thing on my butts sometimes. I may have to try it out.

You won't get a great deal of flavor penetration on a larger cut...it's more to keep the bark from being to hard..and to get the next drop of rub to stick..you get more flavor on a thinner cut of meat like ribs.

To each there own...give it a shot and see what you like/don't like.

Back
Top Bottom