wet or dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I know that the subject of wet or dry ribs can be discussed all day, just like membrane or no membrane but which is judged in competition most often? I prefer dry ribs with sauce on the plate but I notice that a lot of you guys sauce the meat in the last hour.

I don't think the membrane no membrane is really a point of contention...most of the people take it off as it makes for a better rib.

I like to glaze mine lightly with sauce at the end of the cook and then more sauce on the side for dipping if needed! :(

Greg Rempe said:
I don't think the membrane no membrane is really a point of contention...most of the people take it off as it makes for a better rib.

I like to glaze mine lightly with sauce at the end of the cook and then more sauce on the side for dipping if needed! :(
I agree, lightly sauced, sauce on the side, no membrane :(

I like mine dry most of the time. I put some Texas Pepper Jelly on every now and than.

Whereas, the rest of the family want sauce and lots of it.

blade said:
I like mine dry most of the time. I put some Texas Pepper Jelly on every now and than.

Whereas, the rest of the family want sauce and lots of it.

That Texas Pepper Jelly makes a real nice glaze!

Cliff H. said:
I know that the subject of wet or dry ribs can be discussed all day, just like membrane or no membrane but which is judged in competition most often? I prefer dry ribs with sauce on the plate but I notice that a lot of you guys sauce the meat in the last hour.

It's a good idea to put something on your ribs that will create a "shine" for comps. It will keep you up with the Jones' on appearance. :)

Good Q!

Jack

I like 'em dry with sauce on the side, but most of the comps I've eaten at serve 'em up with a thick, sweet sauce. Why waste good pork with a lb of sugar per rib?

I guess mine are someplace in-between wet and dry. I mix some frozen applejuice concentrate (thawed) with some of my sauce and paint on a real thin layer. Back on the smoker till the glaze is set. They come out
almost back to the original dryness with a nice shine.

Al

Back
Top Bottom