Western Style Ribs Hee Haw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a couple western style ribs. Smoked @ 225-259 for about four hours or so. These are some monster sized ribs with no bones. The fatty side leads me to believe they are butts cut up but not sure. They have them at the store occasionally. Don't matter they were delicious.

Rubbed and ready:
ribsrubbed.jpg

2.5 hours in:
ribs25hrs.jpg

Off the grill and started pulling:
ribspulled.jpg

Plated with some sweet sauce and some mustard sauce slaw and chips:
ribplated.jpg

Looks great

They cut from rite by the butt, The butt aint from the pigs butt area :roll:

Ya, shoulder butt. Some people on this board probably have a shoulder butt. We generally refer to that as La Cabeza or for my non spanish speaking friends their head. :LOL:

Yeppers that do look good. Now the propa terminology for the cut is "Boston Butt" for them who likes to learn new thangs. They slice em up and peddle them as country style ribs around here. Now occasionally you will run into "real" country style ribs which is cut off the tail end of the loin. Those are good too. They just taste like boney pork steak or pork chops cuz thats whut they are.

bigwheel

They called those pork steaks in eastern Illinois in the late '60s/early '70s when I was just getting into grilling. They were probably the first non-beef cut to go on my 18.5-in kettle. I don't see those in the stores here in Viirginia, where they sell thicker boneless country style "ribs".

--John
(Ah, the good old days. Slow-grilled pork steaks with Open Pit barbecue sauce -- fortified with Worcestershire -- applied pretty much throughout the cook. :D )

Back
Top Bottom