Weekend Buttage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Started with 17 pound o poke and coated with a basic rub that I've been wanting to try. Put them on over Royal Oak Lump with a mix of Hickory and Cherry dust in a foil pouch.

Finished them by tossing them with more rub, and some Rev Marvins (the yellow color). The revs gives it a nice kick when it comes off. The pork came out great and the bark was awesome. I like the rub. Of course SLAW...mayo, miracle whip, cider vinegar, Marzettis, S&P, and celery seed.

Mmm now I got something for the freezer....If it ever makes it there! :LOL:

Man - that looks great. Question for you or anyone - about how much rub and how much sauce would you mix with the finished product for the two butts you did? Thanks. BD

big dude said:
Man - that looks great. Question for you or anyone - about how much rub and how much sauce would you mix with the finished product for the two butts you did? Thanks. BD

I just lightly sprinkled it, turn, repeat x3.
Probably 3/4 cup of Rev's original....not much

Captain Morgan said:
is the rub a secret?
Yes and No
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder (secret)
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

I made two batches one with light and one with dark brown sugar, then combined.

img_147527_0_cc193d5d408b1dbe55b63aecba287f59.jpg

Good to see a butt with a layer of fat on the side. It makes a difference I have found. They sell butts without the bone around here, but the bone needs to be there for the best tasting Q. Your meat supplier is very important.

Captain Morgan said:
larry's gonna be pissed when he finds out you posted
the recipe for Wolfe Rub

No, once he sees this recipe he'll copy it. Watch for "WereWolfe Rub" (sold only during the full moon).

Back
Top Bottom