Weber Kettle advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Hey guys,
I have never tried to cook indirect on any kind of kettle grill. I would like to cook a few racks of BB's tommorrow. I could use some advice on method and fire management for a Weber 18" kettle grill.

Thanks

Cliff, start off with a small pile of unlit coals (15-20) or if you have the charcoal baskets that's even better. Put your ribs on the opposite side and then add about 5 lit coals to the unlit coals along with wood chunks or chips. Manage your heat through the vents at the bottom of the kettle and leave the top vent 100% open. You're gonna have to add unlit coals probably about every 45 minutes to an hour, or whenever your temps start to drop. Good luck!

Cliff H. said:
Thanks Larry,
What kind of time frame do you think this method should take?

Cooking in the 240-260* range I'd guess 4-5 hours. Not sure if you foil or not but you might want to try cooking them in the smoke for 2-2.5 hrs, then foil for 45 minutes to 1 hour (until the meats pulled away from the bone a bit) and then back on the cooker for another 45 minutes to 1 hour to sauce and firm back up. They're done when you can pull two bones apart and the meat tears easily.

Question:
When doing it this way...In what position should the top vent be? Over the coals, or over the food with the idrect heat? ... assuming no BBQ Baffle is being used.

ScottyDaQ said:
Question:
When doing it this way...In what position should the top vent be? Over the coals, or over the food with the idrect heat? ... assuming no BBQ Baffle is being used.
I do it opposite the coals to help bring the heat and smoke through the meat.

I decided that there would not be enough hours in the day to make it happen. I am going to cook some ribs using this method. I will have to research the baffle. I hate it that I never ventured outside offset smoking. Good thing I found this sight with folks who are willing to show you how. Thanks all.

Cliff, I loved my wsm so much I put off getting a kettle for years.
When I finally did, I loved it even more than my smoker.
The kettle puts a great smoke flavor into hamburgers, steaks
and chicken. I still do ribs and butts on the wsm, but for a quicker,
outstanding meal, the kettle is fabulous.

Just get it and use it for grilling, and then later you can look into
all the things like the baffle and the rotiss.

The BBQ Baffle is listed in the links section...also I did a podcast with the owner of the company if you'd care to listen to it...he is offering a 10% discount on your purchase! :(

That does help. Just to clarify, when speaking of unlit charcoal and adding unlit charcoal, am I to assume we are talking about LUMP ?

Cliff H. said:
That does help. Just to clarify, when speaking of unlit charcoal and adding unlit charcoal, am I to assume we are talking about LUMP ?

Cliff either will work. I use Kingsford.........

Burnt Food Dude said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":23ztx85t]BFD, my wife tryed that in the kitchen 1 night!

Is that why you want a new kitchen?[/quote:23ztx85t]
=D> =D> =D>

The lighter fluid in matchlight probably should not smolder but a couple of pcs may not hurt. I kinda like the tast of lighter fluid :^o

I've tried em all and the thing that I've found to be the best is newspaper that has gone through a paper shredder. I have a box full, I just grab a small hand full, put in the chimeny, touch a match to just one strip... Poof ! Haven't had use more than one match.

Back
Top Bottom