Wanting to start a local contest...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrooklynQ

Cook
Get a copy of KCBS sanctioning packet. It's filled with alot of ideas and techniques for hosting an event even if you don't plan on having your event sanctioned.

You may want to consider just doing a one day grilling contest first and only attempt the traditional 2 day BBQ contest if that one works out well.

Something you might want to consider just to get your feet wet...our County Sheriff's Dept. is sponsoring a rib cook-off.

I would think that would be a good thing to do for a comp between departments. This way everybody cooks the same meat, most everybody "thinks" they can cook great ribs, and it gets your feet wet and if it works out well you can expand it for another comp in the near future.

Just a thought....

If you use a limited number of untrained judges
You can get some odd results each judge has too much
influence When I do a contest I get 12 Judges then one or two
folks can not screw up the scores too much.
The KCBS System is really great but it depends on trained judges
The IBCA system works with "off the Street" types
it has more judges in it and you don't need a computer to score it

If none of these guys have ever competed before,
there's probably gonna be some hurt feelings.
Try to explain to all that if there is a winner, there
has to be "those who don't win".

Have the teams by department like you planned. Then either invite more friends or co-workers and give each person one ticker per meat category. Place a jar labeled by eat category in front of each teams cook site and have the crowd place their ticket into the teams meat category they thought was the best, "Peoples Choice"! Very simple, easy and gratifying to the participants, especially if they're not BBQ Circut Competitors to begin with.

Captain Morgan said:
If none of these guys have ever competed before,
there's probably gonna be some hurt feelings.
Try to explain to all that if there is a winner, there
has to be "those who don't win".

Just another idea..make some sort of donation to a local charity with a nominal entrence fee..then no matter who wins...
" the charity is the real winner here today ! "

Sounds like it should be a fun time. I like the "peoples choice" idea Larry had. Then no one's feelings get hurt. Sounds like yall have to work together for the same company, don't want any problems like that. If it is just for fun. Than make it fun. 8)
Take lots of pictures please!

Peoples Choice is a populartiy contest I have done them this way simple but SOMEONE always gets their feelings hurt
Contests need to be blind
Or its not a meat contest its just whos likable and nice or nice looking or both.

Thom Emery said:
Peoples Choice is a populartiy contest I have done them this way simple but SOMEONE always gets their feelings hurt
Or its not a meat contest its just whos likable and nice or nice looking or both.

Not necessarily. If the crowd is the "general public" how can it be a popularity contest?

Thom Emery said:

That would leave Larry out

Larry It comes down to a T and A Contest in those Peoples Choice deals LOL Why would you not want to do a Blind Box Contest? Yes the PC is easy to do but I have seen Ribs that didn't place in the Blind Boxes Win the PC because the counter girls worked the heck out of it. Some of you are thinking "Bring on the PC Ribs" LOL
But it is supposed to be fun what ever works

Back
Top Bottom