Vacuum tumbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich Decker

Senior Cook
Has anyone tried a vacuum tumbler. I got one last week and have chicken in it right now. This is the forth time I've cooked chicken since I got it (practicing different marinades). They seem to work awesome, in 20 minutes the marinate flavor penetrates through the meat.

I buy chicken breast vac sealed and frozen from a smokehouse in Texas when I go home for holidays.

He has a tumbler like you are describing. I always figured it was some kind of very expensive machine. The end product is incredible.

There is a particular marinated breast called " Buttery Saut'e Mushroom" that I buy almost exclusively. It is very good.

Do give some detail about the tumbler you have.

I've used one when I cut meat a while back. They work great for flavor, but I thought it made the texture of the meat a little mushy. I surmized that the force of the liquid through the membranes and cells, busted them up, producing mushy texture. We had a blast playing with that thing though. The company provided all kinds of different stuff to enhance with.

Good Q!

Jack

I have a food saver marinader that works pretty well. Never seen a tumbler but hey, anything to penetrate flavor into the meat.

Several of the folks down here bought the vacuum tumblers and they do work well..and not really all that pricey. If you want one give my old cooking pal Prickely Heat aka Scott Foreman a try. Think he sells them nowadays and they do a brisk mail order bizness on a lot of stuff:
http://www.homebrewerysupply.com/foremans.htm
Biggest improvement over the FS static vacuum marinate system is the time involved. Tumbling seems to cut down the time frame by about half. Dont call on Thursday thats his day off.

bigwheel

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
I have a food saver marinader that works pretty well. Never seen a tumbler but hey, anything to penetrate flavor into the meat.

wdroller said:

I'm thinking of getting the FS marinader. How long would you leave, say, chicken breasts in the vacuum? "Pretty well" is not a ringing endorsement. If yours broke, would you get another? Thanks for yor input.

Way better than "this thing is a piece of shit".

I've had one of the FS marinators for a couple of years and its held up well. I cant say how it would compare to anything else since I have never had anything else. My biggest complaint is that they dont make a bigger one. I never have a set time for anything..not yet at least. But I thinkI only paid about 15 bucks for it on sale at wal mart so for that money its been great.

wdroller said:

I'm thinking of getting the FS marinader. How long would you leave, say, chicken breasts in the vacuum? "Pretty well" is not a ringing endorsement. If yours broke, would you get another? Thanks for yor input.

Ok, it's freakin awesome and saves me a butt load of time. Better?

I have been thinking of making one using a food saver container, Might be a good winter project, I have done chicken in a food saver container (buttermilk brine) it's great!

Dittos on the size of the FS buckets. Would be nice to have one bigger. The one I used dont think could hold a brisket flat for example. The vacuum tumblers are somewhut larger capacity. Flat go down in one of them purty easy I think.

bigwheel

cflatt said:
I've had one of the FS marinators for a couple of years and its held up well. I cant say how it would compare to anything else since I have never had anything else. My biggest complaint is that they dont make a bigger one. I never have a set time for anything..not yet at least. But I thinkI only paid about 15 bucks for it on sale at wal mart so for that money its been great.

Back
Top Bottom