Up the creek w/out a therm...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Im in Va. at my sister in laws for her reunion and started cooking last night on the WSM. When I turned on the Maverick, I noticed the meat probe was running almost 50 degrees hotter than the smoker probe. Long story short, I did my first butt cook without a thermometer and judged finish by "pulling the bone". At 11 hours, the bone came out clean and when I started to lift the butts off, they fell in half easly. They appeared moist and are foiled and resting now. I plan on pulling them in about 4 hours, so Ill know more than. Heading out to a local Williams Sonoma to get a new probe and hopefully score some sale rib racks...

Just like the old days before fancy electronics =D> Bet it turns our great, post the pics :grin:

Well, I scored two rib racks at Willimas and Sanoma and a new ET-73 at a BBQ Galore store here. It appears to be a chain store. Never saw one before. Lots of Weber stuff and they also had a "Green Egg" there. Looked at a Weber kettle with the rottissere ring and dropped some hints to the wife...anniversery comming in September if anyone talks to her (WITT !!!!!!)...lol

Re: the thermometerless butts...One appeares to be a little dry, the other one was awesome. They were both very similer in size..mixed them together and they will be fine to serve tommarrow. Every one was picking at it as I pulled it and appeared to be happy with it. I guess we are our worse critics.

Heading out to start my brisket for an overnight cook. Sorry about no pics. To much beer !

So John do I drop the weber stuff or the Green Egg in the mrs ear when I see her again...How did the rub work out for you?

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Thermometer? I don't need no stinking thermometer! :grin: The finger polk or bone pull works for me.

I have a bunch of old fashioned dial meat thermos. I use them on brisket and chicken, but not usually on butts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom