UDS Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
I've never yet used my bottom racks on either of my UDSs. Anybody know how the bottom rack cooks being so close to the fire? I know the temp in the center of my top rack is up to 30 degrees hotter than the very side not above the fire basket.

I have used my bottom rack several times. The only issue I have had with it is when it comes time to remove the meat from the bottom rack with a full load on the top rack. The fire will climb out out the drum in a matter of a couple of minutes.

If memory serves, my bottom rack runs bout 25 er so degree's hotter then my top rack. I usually put the bigger pieces a meat down there an towards the end rotate my meats from top ta bottom racks.

Cliff H. said:
I have used my bottom rack several times. The only issue I have had with it is when it comes time to remove the meat from the bottom rack with a full load on the top rack. The fire will climb out out the drum in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Cliff, I probably don't understand this because I'm not a UDS guy, but what do you mean "fire will climb out out the drum"?

Nothing like a good grease flair up. :shock: Had the rack out of the pig cooker a few years back with the lid open at a cater, went to take a whiz and herd yelling. The idiots were throwing paper plates and plastic cups in the coals! IDIOTS. Needed a coat of paint after that deal.

Pigs

I thin what Cliff is sayin is, ya leave the lid off to long an them coals is gonna set yer smokin wood ta burnin, any grease in there (an there will be!) is gonna get goin, get em goin good nough an ya got yerself a burnin barrel! :LOL:

Ya just learn not ta leave the lid off longer then necessary. I will close up my bottom air intakes which heps some, but yer still dumpin air in from the top. Just a matter a timin is all.

Back
Top Bottom