Two More Butts for a Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I put the last two butts for my son's wedding on the WSM this morning. Once these are done, that will give me a total of 7 butts to work with.

These two were injected with Kosmo's Pork Injection mixed with apple juice and rubbed down with Suckle Busters Hog Waller last night at about 10:00 P.M. Then I wrapped them tight with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for the night.

Put them on the WSM at 8:00 A.M. this morning with Royal Oak lump, pecan wood with a few pieces of hickory. They will probably be done about 6:00 P.M. this evening. I will post finished photos later. Thanks for looking in on me. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's Saturday and I pulled the two butts last night. It took a couple of hours to get it done but it was worth it. These butts came out real nice. Here's one of the two trays. I have vacuum sealed both and they are now resting in the freezer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Vermin999 said:
Very nice Lew. Are you planning on mixing all the butts together or keeping them separate?
Man Vermin, that's something I've been pondering. Funny you should ask that question. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to handle it yet.

Two of the buts were cooked with Kosmo's Pork Injection mixed with pineapple juice. I can't remember what I rubbed them with. They also seem to have a high fat content in the meat. I probably should have left them on the WSM an extra hour. The last two butts were injected with Kosmo's again but mixed with apple juice. I rubbed them with SB Hoochie Mama. Smoked those suckers over 10 hours and they came out fantastic.

I have one other butt in the freezer left over from a cook awhile back and I don't remember much about the prep on that one. They are all vacuum sealed before I put them in the freezer. I think I'm going to mix a couple of the butts with some seasoning and SB BBQ sauce. A couple of the others will just get some seasoning and no sauce. I plan to have a vinegar based sauce available for those who want to go that route and the SB for those who want it sweet.

I'm sure I've rattled off a lot more here than anyone cares to here. Thanks for asking. Any suggestions would really be great.

Those look great, just like the others you have posted. Mix it or not I'm betting you will get rave reviews. Being young people and I'll assume beer, they probably would not notice the subtle differences :D

Lew, now that you have done several, do you think it would be a problem to do 6 butts (7-9 lbs) on the 22.5 WSM all at one time? I'm doing a party for all my neighbors here in Michigan and figure to have 50+ people. 6 butts @ 8 lbs. = 48 / 2 = 24 lbs after cooking, 3 people to a lb. = feeding up to 72 guests. My family will be here for a week after the party so I'm sure they will clan up whatever is left. My main concern is will 6 butts fit and will it take longer then the 12 - 16 hours smoker time to do that much meat at one time?

bbquzz said:
Those look great, just like the others you have posted. Mix it or not I'm betting you will get rave reviews. Being young people and I'll assume beer, they probably would not notice the subtle differences :D

Lew, now that you have done several, do you think it would be a problem to do 6 butts (7-9 lbs) on the 22.5 WSM all at one time? I'm doing a party for all my neighbors here in Michigan and figure to have 50+ people. 6 butts @ 8 lbs. = 48 / 2 = 24 lbs after cooking, 3 people to a lb. = feeding up to 72 guests. My family will be here for a week after the party so I'm sure they will clan up whatever is left. My main concern is will 6 butts fit and will it take longer then the 12 - 16 hours smoker time to do that much meat at one time?
Hey Buzz, I think that would be cramming the WSM a bit. How much time do you have before the party? If you have a few days, cook half and then depending on how those come out, you can make adjustments and do the rest.

If you plan on pulling the pork, don't forget that there's a lot of work just doing that. I takes me about an hour and a half to pull two butts. I'm doing mine in advance so I'm vacuum sealing the pulled pork and storing it in the freezer.

Hey Lew, I notice you tie your butts, any specific reason? I do it too, but not sure where I heard to do it or why. It does make a compact unit to cook, but don't know if there is a downside to doing it???

Tri Tip said:
Lew we need a teammate???????????????
Hey Mike, I'm really sorry that this weekend didn't work out for helping you at the OC Fair. My sons wedding is next weekend and I'm up to my neck in chores getting the house and the food ready for it.

In addition to doing food for the reception on Saturday night, we are expecting about 40 people over to our house for Q on Sunday afternoon. These are all out of town guests who are attending the wedding and have stayed overnight in the area. Needless to say, the house and yards all need a lot of attention. This weekend is the fix this, clean that and dig out all those weeds weekend.

I really wanted to join you guys and lend a hand. It would be my first time at a competition. Hope things are going good for you guys and that you place some high scores on your Q. Let us know how you did.

bbquzz said:
Hey Lew, I notice you tie your butts, any specific reason? I do it too, but not sure where I heard to do it or why. It does make a compact unit to cook, but don't know if there is a downside to doing it???
Hi Buzz, these butts were boneless and I had to tie them together to keep everything together. One advantage of the boneless is that you have easy access to the inside of the butt to add a lot of extra rub. You end up with a lot more surface for it.

Smokey Lew said:
[quote="Tri Tip":705yax7i]Lew we need a teammate???????????????
Hey Mike, I'm really sorry that this weekend didn't work out for helping you at the OC Fair. My sons wedding is next weekend and I'm up to my neck in chores getting the house and the food ready for it.

In addition to doing food for the reception on Saturday night, we are expecting about 40 people over to our house for Q on Sunday afternoon. These are all out of town guests who are attending the wedding and have stayed overnight in the area. Needless to say, the house and yards all need a lot of attention. This weekend is the fix this, clean that and dig out all those weeds weekend.

I really wanted to join you guys and lend a hand. It would be my first time at a competition. Hope things are going good for you guys and that you place some high scores on your Q. Let us know how you did.[/quote:705yax7i]

Lew, I know a guy in your area that would cater all those weekend guests, word is he makes a mean Tri Tip :roll: :LOL:

Smokey Lew said:
[quote="Tri Tip":dsymfqy3]Lew we need a teammate???????????????

I really wanted to join you guys and lend a hand. It would be my first time at a competition. Hope things are going good for you guys and that you place some high scores on your Q. Let us know how you did.[/quote:dsymfqy3]

Hay Lew that was in no way meant about last weekend. I meant that for the future cause your pork looks so great. :D

Back
Top Bottom