Turkey - To Brine or not to Brine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joe! Welcome! :(

Do a search on brining (on this site) ~ You'll find allot of good infomation and some heated discussions too. I believe that the general consensus here is that brining is a good thing. You missed out on a knock down, dragout brawl on this subject a few weeks ago. :eek:

Jim Cook said:
Joe F,

Brining is for fish.
Me and Jodi really can't understand how brining poultry
ever got started.
Hard to imagine but some people even brine their beef
before turning it into jerky.
I think that someone accidentally dropped their turkey
into a bucket of brine one year and imagined that it tasted better.
People just drink too much around ThanksGiving and Christmas
and with a snoot full of booz, it's easy to imagine that something
might be more flavorful and savory.
Try it for yourself.
Cook two turkeys. One brined and one not brined.
and tell me if you can taste any difference.

Jim,
There is a HUGE difference between brining and not brining in my opnion. I have been brining turkeys for years, but I decided to smoke several "enhanced" birds recently because folks say they are just as good as a brined. Well, they are better than I thought they would be, but not nearly as good as a brined bird.

Bob T said:
I see from another post that maybe I should not be wrapping in foil and resting in the cooler for a while.

I foiled one last Sunday...it sat for an hour and came out hot and moist...Was there a reason to not foil ?

edit - I guess i should look at other threads before I post...lol...well, mine didnt fall apart, and it was pretty good...pulled it at 165 and when I took it out it broke in half. It sat on the stove for 5 min while I fumbled with the foil and making room to work. Maby it cooled of just enough.....Usually when I foil, its immedietly off the fire and I agree on the cooking continuence thing....

Bruce B said:
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

ROUND 7
Instigator
4.gif

Joe F said:
I had no idea I was reopening a huge can of worms! I just want a tastey turkey...

lol...ya, right !!!!!

Some guys will do anything for a little excitement !

SmokinOkie said:
Love the popcorn

Now if they make an icon for a margarita I can drink while the fireworks are going.

Cook two turkeys. One brined and one not brined.
and tell me if you can taste any difference.

I agree completely. Try it yourself, only way to see if something works for you, brining, injecting, whatever.

We did. Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, I fixed two birds. In a blind taste test, everyone hands down picked the brined bird. All I did was watch and see.

Guess I'm biased now, since I'm the author of Brining 101 and I only come out for Brining posts :)

Smokin Okies Brining 101

Brining actually has been used by chefs for many years to add flavor to pork; loins & chops it does really well.

Merry Christmas to all!

I was going to bring that up... but you did. 8-[

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom