Turkey Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
Wife and I had to leave a turkey on the smoker unattended and was gone longer than we thougt we would be. Two and a half hours. When we got home the pit temp was down to 125 and the internal temp of the bird was 110. Checked the internal temp of the turkey right before we left and it was at 147 . I have put the bird in the oven and going to finish it off that way. Guess I'll just use it for gumbo. What opinions do you have on this. By the way it really made me sick the way this has turned out.

I would say if it was above 140* it would be fine but, with any kind of foul, I would not trust it at all. Totally agree with Vermin in this case

Smoke is a great food preservative. Dont make me tell again about the heavy smoked brisket which stayed in the ice all summer in tinfoil. I finally give it to good looking short legged Fraulein beer tender and she say it was the best she ever had. I have sure ate Turkeys where the fire went out during the night a time or two. As can be plainly seen I aint dead yet.

Something seems funny here. The pit temp was 125 and the bird was down to 110. Don't see how you could get that big of a temp difference, I'd think the bird and pit would be the same. Gone for 2 1/2 hours and it dropped that much? What was the pit temp before you left?

Something seems funny here. The pit temp was 125 and the bird was down to 110. Don't see how you could get that big of a temp difference, I'd think the bird and pit would be the same. Gone for 2 1/2 hours and it dropped that much? What was the pit temp before you left?
The Klose pit I have has two gauges on it and the one closes to the fire box had the reading of 125. There can be a difference of 40-50 degrees from the fire box end to the stack end when cooking and the gauges are located even with the top rack(which is out on this cook). Have seen a 10-15 degree difference from the botton to the top rack when using a remote thermo. Hope this clears up how there could be such a difference.

I did slice enough to make a sandwich and carry to work and it didn't seem to bother me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom