Turkey leg question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Anyone ever do smoked turkey legs? The wife and I saw them at this fall festival today and they were selling like hot cakes. Just wondering if anyone has done them for vending? How long do they take? What seasonings? It looked like they were reheating them on a gas cooker. Any thoughts?

Bill you can grill them or the best way, brine them and smoke them. That's the typcical way you see vendors selling them. They're like $8 a piece at Kings Dominion and very good!

Brine overnight, season liberally with fresh cracked pepper and smoke until internal temp hits between 170-175. Only takes about 3 hours low and slow.

I had a turkey leg at sterling forest in NY about a year ago...It was a Rennasance (sp?) fest in upstate NY..They were selling like hotcakes and they were awfull (narly, ful of senew and cartaledge) but selling like crazy !!!

The big boys who peddles them for a living buys them already cooked and smoked and simply puts a reheat job on em. Smoke em up a bit mo so to speak. Old bbq pal o mine named Mark Leslie from Vernon, TX aka Headcountry I..say he hit a big rodeo with them thangs and got rich one time. He buying the jumbos off some Turkey Farm in E. Texas for a buck a leg already cooked and pass it on for 4 bucks a leg to the innocent bystanders. He say the health goon was in the trailer with him and stuck each one to make sure it say 160 or above afore he handed it over. You start cooking the stuff up from the raw condition you got a heap mo problemos from the health nazis than if you simply reheating..plust the ones they got prob gonna taste mo betta than the ones you got. Just some food for thought.

bigwheel

Bill: You can buy them by the fifty pound case around here smoked and ready to just heat up and go. There not bad IMHO. I may pick up a case or two to vend the week before Thanksgiving just to pick up some extra dough. ;)

Some of you boys spends way too much time trying to reinvent the wheel. Might want to figger out one day whether you want to cook for love or money. If your cooking for money buy them turkey lurkey legs presmoked..if your cooking for love buy em presmoked too. How many silly gooses can gather in one gaggle?

bigwheel

All gooses are silly..so this question be similar to trying to find the last decimal place for pi. How many silly gooses which can gather in one gaggle is dependent on the number of gooses which decides to gather in one place. Now will give you one tip. Some folks say..pie are square..but it aint. Pie are round. Cake are square. Learnt this back in high screwl. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Well, now that I have seen the responses and the ones that went off topic, I will try them next time I crank up the smoker. I will start with raw turkey and brine then smoke. Thanks for the help.

Watch out for ecoli..them things are highly infested. Nearly as bad as raw spinach from whut I heard. Good fortunes to ya. Praise the Lord folks dont normally eat that junk but once a year. I think it reduces the fatalities.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom