Turkey and Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry Wolfe said:
Did a 15lb turkey for a co-worker. Just salt and peppered it. Also did some thighs with some Dizzy Pig's rub, just to try something different.

Here's a few pic's!

Some dang fine eats there Larry!!

Good looking stuff there Larry. Bird is the word! :grin: I'm a big fan of Malabar black pepper, Is that what you used? I find other types of pepper wimp out in the smoker.

Nope Chris, it's just coarse ground table pepper. Didn't really do it for taste, more for just an "hmmmm that looks good factor"!

So how long does it take to cook a turkey on a WSM and did you have to add more coals and wood? I am trying to get a feel for cooking on one.

Cliff H. said:
So how long does it take to cook a turkey on a WSM and did you have to add more coals and wood? I am trying to get a feel for cooking on one.

Cliff that turkey was 14.89lbs and it took about about 5 hours cooking in the 250* range for the breast to reach 162* and the thighs to reach 175*. I used about half a charcoal ring of Kingsford and about 4 medium sized hickory chunks. I didn't have to add additional coals, I actually had some leftover.

Nick Prochilo said:
Good looking stuff Larry! But what happened to the fatties?

Nick I'm heading to the store now to get beer, I'll look for some sausage while I'm there. I'm not sure I'll get to them today though or not. Besides, I'm out of Wolfe Rub. Does anyone know where I can get more?

BTW, I cooked the chicken without the water pan and I really like the flavor it gave the chicken.

I just threw 6 leg quarters on for lunch this week. 1/2 rubbed with Wolfe and the other 1/2 with KC Masterpiece. No sauce, I don't want sticky fingers this week again. Seeing as Larry forgot the fatties, I threw 1 one for a little snack for later. I'm doing a bottom round in the oven for dinner tonight, chicken is just for lunches. I'll post some pics later.

Nick Prochilo said:
I just threw 6 leg quarters on for lunch this week. 1/2 rubbed with Wolfe and the other 1/2 with KC Masterpiece. No sauce, I don't want sticky fingers this week again. Seeing as Larry forgot the fatties, I threw 1 one for a little snack for later. I'm doing a bottom round in the oven for dinner tonight, chicken is just for lunches. I'll post some pics later.

Nick I bought a tube of sausage and some contry style ribs for dinner tonight, so I'll get my fatty done after all tonight!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Good looking stuff there Larry. Bird is the word! :grin: I'm a big fan of Malabar black pepper, Is that what you used? I find other types of pepper wimp out in the smoker.

Tell me some about this Malabar black pepper.

Inquiring minds and all you know!

Jack

brian j said:
looks great larry. i should start making chicken for lunches during the week.

which dizzy rub did you use? i have some cowlick that i like to use with beef and just picked up some raging river that i need to try.

Brian,
I used the Dizzy Dust, I liked it more this morning when I had a leg quarter for breakfast.

Bryan S said:
Looks great Bud. =P~ I have the Cow Lick and still not sure wether i like it or not. Sometimes i do sometimes i don't. :)
Bryan, I've used the Cow Lick twice and haven't cared for it. I like it out of the bottle, but it seems to change a bit once cooked IMO.

john pen said:
Larry, did you do the country style ribs on the WSM or did you grill them ?

John I'm doing them on the Performer, they're almost done!

Finney said:
Man Larr... that fowl looked some kind of good.
Nice to see you using the rack spacer. :!:

Yep it comes in handy, I bet a guy could make a killing making them! 8-[ I'll be using it again this weekend, got my regular at work that just ordered more pulled chicken. I'm all out in the freezer, so it's time to make a fresh batch and the rack spacer will really come in handy!

where can I find more info on this rack spacer ? I did a search here but all of the pics were gone. Any other places to look ?

Back
Top Bottom