Turkey Advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justaguy

Sous Chef
Turkey day is at my house this year, so obviously I'll smoke the bird. Said bird is 17 lbs (never done one that big) and 3 pm is dinner time. So I figure either A: I get up really early and cook at 250 for roughly 9 hours, B: I run a little hotter say 270 and hope to shave off a few hours, or C: Just run closer to 300 or so towards one end of the cook, and if so which end. What do you guys think?

I plan on doing my bird 300 to 350 the entire cook. I'll put it on around noon and we'll eat when its ready. Cooking a ham too but plan on cooking that around 230-250 degrees. Plan on putting that on the grill somewhere around 1100-1130.

Not that I'm any kind of an expert, but ... I just did a test turkey 14 lbs at 290° and it took 3 1/2 hours as compared to 8 hours at 225° for my first 12 lb. test, both were brined. Most I have read and heard a turkey does not benefit from real low and slow and may do more harm than good. This from a guy who Thanksgiving will do his 3rd turkey ever.

Guy, I can't remember what kind of cooker you use. I use a WSM and run turkeys with the bottom vents open, empty water pan and shoot for 300 - 350 the entire cook. Probably 3 to 3.5 hrs for a 17 pounder.

Griff said:
Guy, I can't remember what kind of cooker you use. I use a WSM and run turkeys with the bottom vents open, empty water pan and shoot for 300 - 350 the entire cook. Probably 3 to 3.5 hrs for a 17 pounder.

Sold! I use a 18" WSM. All the turkeys I've done so far have just been for me and the wife so timing was never a factor, plus I've never done anything over a 14 lb bird. With the family coming I was a little more concerned (gotta have it ready on time). I'll just go a little hotter than normal and avoid having to get up so early.

Ive done an A$$ load of turkeys this past few weeks on my 18 WSM. I did do 1 bird on the weber kettle at 350* indirect with coals on each side of the kettleand the bird in the middle. The kettle bird was done (12#lbs) in almost exactly 2 1/2 hours. Also there was no comparison. The Low and slow birds are a hell of alot juicier. All birds were brined in a simple brine too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom