Trimming St. Louis ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I noticed a meaty part on the bone side of the rack I bought today.
Should this be trimmed off, or just cook it as it is?

Thanks! I never knew what to do with that little flappy thing.
I'm going to cook them medium- high indirect on the gas grill.

Erik, sometimes I leave the flappy thing on. It's a pain in the butt to trim the silverskin off but if you can it's worth the effort. 8)

Thats part of the brisket meat. They make more money by leaving it on. Like everyone else said, cut it off, season it and smoke it. Put it in a pan of beans and YUMMY.

erik,

If you're starting with a full rack of spares, and you want to get to "St Louis," you have to remove the "chine" (if it's been left on), the "tips," and the "flap." Some people also take the "small end" if the bones aren't running parallel or there's a large flap of meat that will dry out over a long cook hanging off the end.

About the flap:

Remove it by bending it back, and starting your cut from the widest end, leaving about 1/2" attached to the slab. Then slather and rub the flap meat, just as you would the slab. Like some of the other guys have said, the flap will cook faster than the rest of the slab. (That's a big part of why you trim it off.) To give you an idea of how fast, I usually cook the slab for about six hours and pull the trimmed flap between the third and fourth hour. It's usually easy to get the silvery-white membrane (the "silverskin") off the enitre slab before trimming the flap, by starting a corner, grabbing it with a paper towel (amazingly grippy on the membrane), and gently pulling it off. Sometimes the membrane won't come easily and tears. If so, take the flap and do your best to peel it off by starting it with a thumbnail or dull knife. If that doesn't work, try a sharp knife (which is how I do it).

Your question about the flap is so basic it begs whether you know how to do the rest of the trim. If not, this is a great place for advice. But, before you get all nuts about doing the full trim a lot of people (me!) think ribs are best with the tips left on. They're awkward but luscious.

Hope this helps,
Rich

wdroller said:
Bill The Grill Guy said:
Thats part of the brisket meat. They make more money by leaving it on. Like everyone else said, cut it off, season it and smoke it. Put it in a pan of beans and YUMMY.

I thought he was talking about the skirt meat.
That's what I thought??
Bill you're right about the mo' $ thing. I figured that one out real quick ;) It wouldn't do well in comps. But at home I think it works 8)

boar_d_laze said:
erik,

If you're starting with a full rack of spares, and you want to get to "St Louis," you have to remove the "chine" (if it's been left on), the "tips," and the "flap." Some people also take the "small end" if the bones aren't running parallel or there's a large flap of meat that will dry out over a long cook hanging off the end.

Rich
The package says St Louis, so I'm assuming they have already been trimmed. I was just wonder about the flap on the bone side over the membrane.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom