Trimming ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cliff H. said:
Do you feller's go thru all this trouble or do you just pull the membrane and stop there. I trimmed the skirt off of some ribs last week but I wished I would have just left it all on. I can't tell that the skirt meat gets over cooked when it is left on the rib but it sure can get tough when you cut it off and cook along side ribs.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot ... aring.html
If I'm cooking for just me... sometimes I don't even pull off the membrane.

Cliff, the majority of the time I'm cooking BB's cuz the wifey likes BB's and well, no need to go further. The few times I do cook spares, which I happen to prefer, I do trim them exactly like your link shows and cook the skirt and rib-tips for snacks or to put in baked beans at a later date and time.

Cliff H. said:
Do you feller's go thru all this trouble or do you just pull the membrane and stop there. I trimmed the skirt off of some ribs last week but I wished I would have just left it all on. I can't tell that the skirt meat gets over cooked when it is left on the rib but it sure can get tough when you cut it off and cook along side ribs.

If its spares I usually trim em up , but if its just for home eating I dont remove the membrane from either baby back or spares. And no I dont use foil at home serve em right off the grill.

Cliff H. said:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot ... aring.html

Cliff that's one of the main reasons I switched to BB's! They cost a bit more, but so much less work! In either case, if I'm cooking the ribs for the family the membrane 9 out of 10 times stays on.

I always trim a lot of the fat off the ribs. I don't think I've ever cooked a rib that hasn't has the membrane removed. If I'm cooking a bunch of ribs (I did 71 slabs a few weeks ago) I order them "skinned".

I trim like the link and use the trimmings for either baked beans, snacks or I put them in my spagetti sauce...

Rich Decker said:
I always trim a lot of the fat off the ribs. I don't think I've ever cooked a rib that hasn't has the membrane removed. If I'm cooking a bunch of ribs (I did 71 slabs a few weeks ago) I order them "skinned".

Would I not give for a place that would do the for me here in Denmark SC, the reason I don`t remove the membrane when doing ribs at home it aint worth the fight. Now competition wise yea I do remove the membrane.

Cliff, I always pull the membrane on all of my ribs. When I do spares I’ve always trimmed them and snaked on the trimmings during the cook. My first cook on my new BDS (Big Drum Smoker) I decided to try untrimmed spares. After that cook I decided that I prefer them trimmed.

Try ‘em both see with you prefer.

I take the trimmings and filet them out. Then I take the filet pieces and grill them with some rubon them. They are like gourmet McRib sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom