Tri-Tip help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Ok after having the outstanding tri - tip at Oink provided by BTGG I bought one today.

Now since I have never ever in my life cooked one can I have a little advice on how please.

Only one butcher store in my city (pop 125,000) had them. Not popular at all up here.

Looking forward to some advice.

Thankyou.

where is helen when you need her.....Having never did one myself..sorry I can't help..but if you do a search that should answer some ?

I did the search but didn't come up with much :-(

Called a friend of mine and he recommended taking it to 130 and letting it rest for at least 1/2 hour. He also recommended a rub that has little or no sugar.

brian j said:
diva - check out this thread. there is a really good tri tip rub posted by boar_d_laze. basically cook it hot and fast like you would any beef roast and take it up to your desired temp.
Man you IT guys rock...this knuckle draggers been looking for that thread for a while :D

Thank you so much.

I put it on about 15 min ago with some Montreal steak spice that I ground a bit finer. I think I am going to go turn up the heat a bit though. I have it at 250 on the Lil tex with hickory.

I will post pics later.

Got it :)

Thank you.

Well dinner was good but no where near as good as the BTGG/Helen Tri-tip.

I overcooked it :-( ugh. But it was still tender and th kids all enjoyed it.

Hubby liked it too. However he did *gasp* comment it was not as good as it could have been not like BTGG!!!

Sorry I'm a little late Diva. I usually sear mine on the outside then cook indirect until they hit 125* Let it rest for 15 minutes and your good to go. I also just rub it down with a little wosty, salt, pepper, onion powder and some garlic powder.

So you smoked it! [smilie=a_bravo.gif] They're good smoked too.....sorry Ms. Paradise ;)
Diva since you have the "Tri tip hook up" now, try grilling the next one like Nick said. It gets a better crust on it. ;)
Fine looking dinner!

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Helen_Paradise":gqu5dlg4]Edited.

Okay Helen, what does that mean? Your rub recipie was a huge it.[/quote:gqu5dlg4]

Not my rub recipe!!!! I think I pulled it from TVWB site or the Santa Maria city homepage on SM style BBQ. It's pretty much Susie Q's seasonings recipe. I'll have to try the W/S/P/OP/GP combo from Nick's post soon though. Crust is goooooooooood!

Edited=I had put my number to call for girl/grill talk and deleted it. ;)

A good "different" method you can use to cook tri-tip is using the "Reverse Sear" which works great on larger cuts of meat and gives you a juicy yet evenly finished cut of meat.

Reverse Sear Method - Cook indirect in the 250*-275* range until the roast gets to 100* internal, remove the meat from the cooker and raise the temp for direct grilling 500*+, then finish the meat by searing until you get to your goal internal temp. This will give you an even finished product, versus rare in the center and well done on the outer parts of the meat. Try it sometime, it works great on beef and pork.

Back
Top Bottom