Todays cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shootthebunnies

Assistant Cook
First time cooking all of the following. Using 2 ECB's smoke-n-grills, one converted for electric. Shooting for 6PM feeding frenzy!

2 - 6lb Boston butts. 1 rubbed with a sweeter rub, the other more of a savory rub. Both of these are on the electric. Put them in at 5AM so hopefully they will be done, rested and pulled by 6pm.

1 - rack of ribs. Started off as spares, tried my damnedest to cut and trim to St. Louis. Hopefully they turn out well. Going to try the 3-2-1 method. Will put them on around 10:30AM

ABT's around 30 or so of them, a couple different fillings.

I will get picks up when the sun comes up.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting me this far!

You making my head swim. What is the long white thing sticking out of the butt? Thanks. PS just noticed it was a temp gauge maybe. Sorry. At first glance it looked like the butt was trying to pass a rib bone or something.

Butts resting comfortably in pans, ABT's and veggie kabob's chugging away. Ribs = failure, overcooked, falling off the bones, have to eat with a fork. But live and learn right!

Did you pay attention to what you did with the ribs? It's easier to compensate next cook if you know where things turned sour on you. How was the taste of the ribs?

Nick Prochilo said:
Did you pay attention to what you did with the ribs? It's easier to compensate next cook if you know where things turned sour on you. How was the taste of the ribs?

The ribs tasted awesome! But you had to eat them with a fork. Everyone took just a little at first thinking the same thing I did "these are going to be bad". Most weren't even done with the first plate before they were up getting more. Flavor outstanding.

I know I overcooked, and over foiled them.

The butts turned out great, the sweeter of the two rubs was not as good as the other. Both were a little darker than I thought they should be. But both popped with flavor came apart so easily. For my first cook I was happy!

The ABT's were awesome. Went with Cream cheese, smokies, 3 cheese blend and famous daves rib rub. I only got 1!

My biggest questions are:

1. How do I order ribs from the locker next time so I don't run into the same scenario?

2. How do I prevent the butts from getting such a dark bark?

You guys helped me to a very successful first cook and for that I thank all of you! :D

Thanks
Willis

Back
Top Bottom