Todays Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith F

Cook
Today we did Elk and Pork ribs, Quail and chicken thighs.

Elk is on the right. Pork ribs on the left.
11.6.09_2.JPG

Chicken on the left. Quail breast in the center. Quail thighs on right.
11.6.09_1.JPG

Here we have chicken thighs on the left. I used the skin from the thighs to cover the quail. The pork ribs are on the top right. Center bottom is all that was left of the Elk. (they went so fast I could not get a Photo of them) Bottom right is the Quail thighs.
11.6.09_3.JPG

I have only had elk once before so I am not sure what it is "supposed" to taste like. The thin meat on top of the bone was a little tough but the meat between the bones was fantastic.

Well we dont allow them Elk's in Tejas cept for the far NW corner county aka Colarada. Nice bohunk pal from up in Wilbarger brought over a few steaks from the hind leg of a specimine about the size of a Clydsdale. Best dang meat I ever ate. Works the same way with Buffaloes. They mighty tasty and live on grass. The evil white devil males kilt em off and brought in cows which is bad for a person's health and have to eat corn to make em edible. My native americkan Injun blood is reaching the boiling point. Now I can tell stories of a chum who traded a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee for half an Elk in the parking lot of a rough beer joint on the Reservation in Chama, NM. Now that is always considered the Northern tip of Old Mexico seems like.

bigwheel

All looks great.

Glad to hear this talk about elk meat tasting so good. I've got elk ribs on the smoker as I type. Will post pics later.

Keith F You really had it goin' on with that cook!
Looks Dee Licious :D
Thanks for sharin' the pics!

8)

Griff - It was a little dry. I did a modified 3-2-1 with 50/50 beer -n- apple juice in the foil. During the dry-out it got a little too "caramelized" and the thin meat toughened up but the thicker meat (between the ribs) was just right.

BluzQue - I figure if I am going to fire up the smoker I may as well fill it up. I had a bunch of chicken thighs because I need the skin from them for the Quail. Now I have all these leftovers.... what to do, what to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom