Todays cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrchdog

Assistant Cook
Fired up my stumper clone last night before going to bed, got up at 5am and put on ten pork butts. Temps holding steady between 250-260, meat temp up to 125 should be done around 1:30 hope to take some pics then.

Ten? God bless you people. I don't know where you put all this food. More power to you. Looking forward to pics

hrchdog said:
Fired up my stumper clone last night before going to bed, got up at 5am and put on ten pork butts. Temps holding steady between 250-260, meat temp up to 125 should be done around 1:30 hope to take some pics then.

Just out of curiosity...why would you fire up the smoker before you went to bed and then wait until 5am to put the butts on (unless you went to bed really late) :?: :?:

Went to bed around 11:00, when I got up at 4:30 it was up to temp and ready for the meat, didn't have to wait for warmup. I'll sacrifice a couple pounds of lump and start it early like that so it will be ready when I get up. They are are 162 internal now.

Cliff H. said:
Do those type smokers take seveal hours to get up to temp ?

My UDS is ready in 10 minutes.
It takes about an hour to get to temp if you just light a chimney starter of lump and dump in the chute. I use a weed burner to preheat the racks and remove any buildup from prior cooks which heats up the inside so it will be to temp in less than 10 minutes. I had 10 butts on and was only using 2-1/2 of my five racks, sorry but batteries were dead in camera and by the time I got them charged everyone had picked up there butts.

Dog, when you are done cooking, can you just open the air all the way and do a burn off? I thought a remember hearing that the Stumps get up to 650* when they run wide open...?

Greg Rempe said:
Dog, when you are done cooking, can you just open the air all the way and do a burn off? I thought a remember hearing that the Stumps get up to 650* when they run wide open...?
I was almost out of lump when they came off yesterday but it did manage to get to 450 before it started falling down.

Greg Rempe said:

Those are Reverse Sear temps. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom