Today's Chuck Roasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Picked up two chuck roasts at Sam's, total weight 9.8lbs.

Slathered on with mustard and rubbed with Wolfe Rub Bold, the other got a dose of Worsty Sauce and rubbed with Billy Bones Master Beef rub, wrapped both and refrigerated overnight.

Went on the WSM this morning at 7am using Kamado Extruded Coconut charcoal with 2 chunks of Pecan and two chunks of Guava wood.

Temps right now at 11am are 265 lid; 225 cooking grate; 155 meat. Foiling at 165.

Here are some early pics, more at foiling and at finish.

Just prior to foiling; temp at 165.

Well what we don't eat for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow will get vac/pac'd and put in the freezer.

Questions for Bruce:

1. Does the fuel add a taste to the food...or does it smell like coconut at all?

2. Do you find that wrapping the meat and letting it go overnight in the rub makes a BIG difference in the finished product?

Looks like things are well in hand! Can't wait to see the finished product! :D

Greg Rempe said:
Questions for Bruce:

1. Does the fuel add a taste to the food...or does it smell like coconut at all?

2. Do you find that wrapping the meat and letting it go overnight in the rub makes a BIG difference in the finished product?

Looks like things are well in hand! Can't wait to see the finished product! :D

#1 - There is little if any aroma to the charcoal itself, it's main advantage is it's long burning, little or no ash production. The pecan and guava certainly smell good together though.

#2 - If I was doing ribs I wouldn't rub and refridg overnight, but with big cuts of beef and pork butts, I don't worry about getting a hammy taste that you sometimes can get with ribs. Besides neither rub, from my tasting has salt as it's main ingredient, in fact there, was very little liquid extracted from the meat this morning when I got them out. I don't know how much of a difference it makes in the finished product, probably not much but I didn't figure it would hurt it either.

How's the guava? worth it..? and whatever else comments you can make on it. Been very curious about it.

Helen_Paradise said:
How's the guava? worth it..? and whatever else comments you can make on it. Been very curious about it.

The guava has a nice aroma to it, it's hard to describe. It is a mild wood, not strong like hickory, mesquite (yuck, sorry bigwheel). I have used it for chicken and salmon and been very satisfied.

As far as worth it, Greg charges a reasonable price and the shipping is included. The chunks are fist sized, nice chunks and very uniform in size, no small pieces or shavings.

If I was out, I would buy again.

I ditto Bruce's response. Greg has a good product and the wood is all good size chunks!

I find Guava to be similar in smell to mesquite but not as heavy! :D

UPDATE:

Both roasts sitting around the 200 mark, neither one passing the fork test yet, but they are close. Additional pic added above.

Bruce call it ironic! My work travels seem to be taking right into your area tomorrow! Better yet I have to pick up a load of firewood right near the downtown area of God's country. I just thought I would mention it(leftovers)me being so close and all ;)

Chucks are looking tasty so far!

Puff said:
Bruce call it ironic! My work travels seem to be taking right into your area tomorrow! Better yet I have to pick up a load of firewood right near the downtown area of God's country. I just thought I would mention it(leftovers)me being so close and all ;)

Chucks are looking tasty so far!

Jeez Bruce for that matter, mail me some and I'll pay the postage!

You know where I live...if you're serious, give me a PM with the time you'll be out here, I do have one appointment tomorrow, but it's kind of flexible.

Here are the finished pics, I used Billy Bones sauce and Sticky Fingers Carolina Gold Mustard sauce on the sammies.

The beef was extremely tender and moist and pulled easily, not as easily as pork because I think beef tends to be more stringy, but with two forks it was not a problem. Good flavor from the bark of both roasts with just a little heat from the Wolfe Rub Bold. The Billy Bones roast was tasty with almost a slight coffee flavor to the bark, there is a coffee aroma to the rub.

Thanks Larry Wolfe for your help and guidance during this cook. You are the Chuck Master.

That looks great. Just had a friend visit from the amish country and brought a chuck, butt and some loin backs. gotta decide which to cook first and what to freeze. That chuck may have to go first after seeing those pics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom