to wrap or not to wrap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmtky

Senior Cook
need some thoughts on wrapping butts and brisket with foil versus not wrapping. I've been wrapping after smoking and cooking for a couple of hours then putting in a cooler. show me a better way, lol :D 8)

Everyone has a different opinion on this. Do you what you want to. Experiment first and see which result you like best.

Whether a person needs to wrap a brisket depends on the pit you are using..how prone you are are to opening the door to take a peek..mop..or that prepetual yankee favorite spritzing with cold apple juice. Will say this..if only cooking a brisket or two on an un-waterized offset pit..it prob needs wrapping. If you cooking a bunch or you got a pit which has a real stagnant air flow and/or a water source and/or really holds the moisture generated by the meat you can get by without wrapping. Again the amounts have to be plugged into the equation. Mo meat means mo moisture. So..you can either get your moisture from the foil or the pit humidity levels..but fact is it got to have some. For butts I like to cook one nekked and one wrapped and mix em together when it comes time to push and pull. Gives a nice mix of crunchy and mushy. Gets the judges cornfused. Satisfies the old ying and yang thang. At a contest turn in mostly outside meat.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom